Hook Pond, Long Island

Read reports, exchange information and current conditions for the lakes, ponds & rivers in your area...
ukey28

Hook Pond, Long Island

Post by ukey28 »

Fished Sunday Morning, What a shame. Lake is down aver a foot. The Middle and eastern sections have little or no weed. Water is color of Coffee with Cream. Caught two small fish on the bank and set the hok on a fish that at first blush looked all of 6+. After I reeled the fish to the boat(it didn't fight, other than a couple of head shakes.) it turned out to have a six pound head and a three and a half pound body. After the skull, the body came in about an inch on each shoulder and the stomach was concave. I'd say he was about 1 and a half inches across the shoulders and the head was 4.5 to 5 inches wide. The color of the fish was washed out black and white. A really sickly fish. I tossed out a small Pin's Minnow and towed it around the lake while I was fishing, to see if I could get a small fish to hit it, since I hadn't seen any baitfish and that fish looked like it was starving. In two hours not even a bump. I spooked carp everywhere, easy to see without any water in the lake. What a shame, just two years ago this was a thriving fishing with lots of topwater loving bass.
Frank : Bassin' USA Prostaff : New York
JoeMo

Hook Pond, Long Island

Post by JoeMo »

Frank- I didn't notice this post until today. Sorry about the condition of a former hot spot.

I'm hoping that more rain might help if it gets here soon enough and often enough. Alas, it won't help that bass.

Thanks for the update, even if it is disturbing. JoeMo
Good Fishing,
JoeMo - Bassin' USA Message Board Moderator
MMT

Hook Pond, Long Island

Post by MMT »

Frank, Hook can be a funny pond at times. Initially this season I did really good on the side lined with houses. I mojo rigged a finesse worm and caught a solid 4lber on my first trip there this year. Also managed a few smaller fish. The golf course side looks like it should be a jig n piggers heaven with all of those cat tails and reeds. I goosed over there and did poorly until I reached the bridge......oh those dock supports. Everytime I go to that pond they give up a nice bass or two. The first dock, although smaller the other bridges is usually best. Jigs work well. I haven't been there since late June and the water was down a bit then. I can only imagine it now.
Craig DeFranzo
JoeMo

Hook Pond, Long Island

Post by JoeMo »

MMT- The way it's been raining in CT this past week, maybe we should put a downspout under the Sound, not an electrical conduit.
My lake has gone up over 4" in the past 9 days.
Sounds like Hook Pond could use some of the same. A water IV? lol

Thanks a lot. JoeMo
Good Fishing,
JoeMo - Bassin' USA Message Board Moderator