Stick Marsh / Farm 13

Read reports, exchange information and current conditions for the lakes, ponds & rivers in your area...
Fish On

Stick Marsh / Farm 13

Post by Fish On »

Wednesday , September 4th

In the last two weeks the fish quality for me and many other anglers has slightly diminished in Farm 13, the big fish are there but it seems the small fish are beating them to the bait, not all the time of course. The competition among bass in the ditches of Farm 13 is unbelievable when they decide to eat. Don't get me wrong, I will never complain about a fish that will bite and fight even if small but we were due for some big fish, I felt it was time to search for individuals, territorial ones.

I had spoken with Darren of St.Louis, Missouri and discussed his priorities the night before on the phone, " big fish " he said. I felt his best opportunity of getting a BIG FISH RIGHT NOW IN THE STICK MARSH ON "COVER" RATHER THAN "STRUCTURE". In other words on brush, stumps and grass, which have less potential to hold numbers of fish like the shellpiles and drops-offs of Farm 13, LESS potential, not unheardof by any stretch.

After a half days fishing only 7 fish came aboard with no hawgs, but no dinks either all on carolina-rigs. Darren tried one of my rods and was immediately amazed with Power Pro braided line, he said "this is my rod now", he's big, I said "ok". I dropped Darren off so he could rest up for Sea World with the family the following day. I shot back out through the Stick Marsh (NOT RECOMMENDED) to an area roughly a 1/2 mile south of Twin Palms, (you'll see me). I began fishing a roughly 100 yard area that has been good to me in the past for big fish, it has pepper trees , citrus trees, and sum-uda trees in water that is now about 7 feet deep.

Most of the "cover" in this area is about 3-4 feet down though some is visible above the surface. A great tool in this scenario is the Bomber BO5F , several colors are good but I chose chatreuse/ lime green back for the less than 1 foot visibility. I casted for about 15 minutes before I hooked a big fish that had me under "some type of wood" if I had to bet, we tugged back and forth about 10 seconds before my hooks straightened out and she was free.

I was pretty excited, I didn't see the fish but I felt very strongly it was over 6 lbs or so though I admit these fish have fooled me before. I straightened my hooks and continued crashing my crankbait into submerged branches and occasionally through hydrilla at a medium pace. In the next two hours I had 2 more good strikes, a couple "su****ious feelings" and a solid hook-up resulting in the above pictured fish who went just under 7 lbs. on the Bogagrip scale.

There may not be as many bites right now in the Stick Marsh as the Farm but from what I have seen they are quality bites well worth the casts.

Most brush is not visible though roughly 80% of the Stick Marsh side is littered with wood, every 3-5 feet, another log, another bass possibility.

Blind cast a crankbait that runs at least 5 feet to locate wood and then repeat casts to that area from different angles, then throw in the texas- rigs, etc.

Not everywhere holds fish though they may seem the same, watch your electronics for bait and bass. Pay close attention to the depth they are holding and target that depth.

I like to let the crankbait bounce of the wood and create its own strikes though many retrieves can work at different times, stay open minded and creative.

Hang-ups are part of the business and lures will be lost to fish and wood that you can pretend were fish, a good lure retriever will pay for itself quickly.

Be patient and persistent, you will probably get an opportunity to land a fat one, come with me, I'll get the net and take your picture !!!

MANY ADVERTISE BUT HONESTLY FISHING / GUIDING 4-7 DAYS A WEEK YEAR-ROUND ONLY AT THE STICK MARSH / FARM 13 IS SOMETHING ONLY A COUPLE CAN CLAIM.

"stick martian"

Randy Sanders
www.BASSTRIPS.com

(321) 544-4534

With hard-core experience to put you on the fish, show you the feeding habits,and migration routes of BIG BASS, you'd better not miss the boat!