Lake Fork, Texas

Read reports, exchange information and current conditions for the lakes, ponds & rivers in your area...
Muskyplug

Lake Fork, Texas

Post by Muskyplug »

Any current fishing reports? How is the lake doing and is the virus under control? The last time I fished this lake was spring of 2000 and fishing was terrible. Fish were considerably smaller and we were lucky to catch 5-7 fish a day between 3 of us. I hope this lake is rebounding. Any additional information on this lake is appreciated.
Rick
mofish

Lake Fork, Texas

Post by mofish »

If you like catching alot of small fish then come on down. You still catch alot of slot fish on the lake. The larger fish are few and far between. But if you look at the fact that a slot fish can weigh up to about 7 pounds and its not even a keeper then alot of slot fish would be good. lol
Thanks,
Conley Staley
JoeM

Lake Fork, Texas

Post by JoeM »

Muskyplug- Conley talks from experience. I particularly like his reference to the fact that a "Slot fish can weigh up to about 7 lbs."

Conley- Thanks for your quick response. Lake Fork sounds like it has survived some of the earlier problems.

Is the Virus still in the bass population?
I haven't read as much about it in the last few months.

Much obliged. JoeMo
Good Fishing,
JoeM - Former Message Board Moderator
mofish

Lake Fork, Texas

Post by mofish »

As far as the virus I have not heard any reports of the fish still being affected by it. A freind of mine is the Game Warden there and he says things are picking up.

As far as tactics to use I would downsize my lures and try to fish the timber in 15' to 20'. Carolina rigs and slow rolled spinner baits worked through the limbs along the creek chanels have been producing the big fish as of late. As it gets colder vertical jigging a Jig and Pig in the limbs has produced for me in the past.

Hey if all else fails tie on a crappie jig and catch you some crappie. Fork is a amazing crappie fishery too. Most are keeping that a secret. Some very large crappie are caught there each year. Oh yes dont forget the State Record fish of 18.18 was caught by a crappie fisherman. You never know what your gonna get.

Give me a shout when you come down and maybe I can get up with you and go fish some too.

Conley
Thanks,
Conley Staley
Muskyplug

Lake Fork, Texas

Post by Muskyplug »

Conley, thank you for the information. I truly enjoy fishing Fork. WOW, the slot fish have done very well.I venture to guess the boat traffic is probably less congested now days as well, due to less hype. We may be back down this spring. We always fished around Mustang and Little Mustang and the opposite side of the lake. Do you have any other recomendations? Please keep us posted on fishing reports and do you have a website? Joe, thanks for assistance as well. I am happy to hear the virus does not appear to be a problem any longer. Looking forward to the end of March for Lake Fork!Have a great day everyone.
Rick
mofish

Lake Fork, Texas

Post by mofish »

If its been a while since you fished Fork You know that they raised the slot from 14" to 22" to 16" to 24".

I fish mainly in Birch Creek and Up in Coffee Creek. There are some really good spots up in Birch. Like I said let me know when you are coming and I will try and get up with you if I have no tournaments going on.

Conley

Yes I have a web site but it has not been updated in a while. (got to work on that)
Thanks,
Conley Staley
JoeM

Lake Fork, Texas

Post by JoeM »

Conley- You have provided more than enough information for Muskyplug. Great job! It is always good to know what to expect when you are traveling as far as Muskyplug will.

Muskyplug- Good luck to you on Lake Fork. Be sure to get back to us after your trip. And keep posting in the meantime.

Thanks to both of you. Joe
Good Fishing,
JoeM - Former Message Board Moderator
Muskyplug

Lake Fork, Texas

Post by Muskyplug »

Conley, thank you for the tips and I will certainly give you a call in advance with our trip itenerary. I will check out the creeks you have recommended. It would be a pleasure to fish with you, if you can make it. Thanks again and good luck fishing.I'll keep checking back to see what's going on. Joe, great job and I can appreciate your enthusiasm. Thanks to you as well.
Have a great day!
Rick
Rick