Toledo Bend

Read reports, exchange information and current conditions for the lakes, ponds & rivers in your area...
catt951

Toledo Bend

Post by catt951 »

Conditions: Water levels are up 2' due to recent rains. Partly cloudy skies with wind 10 to 15 mph.
Area: White Oak Creek

Bait: Texas Rig Jig, Skirt Black Neon, Gene Larew 5" Salt Craw Black Neon

10 bass/39.62 lbs (8.89 lb kicker)

Fished inside grass line shoreline to 8'flipping down trees, stumps, brush, & the grass line it's self. We had 12 fish by 9:30 and culled to our final 10 by 2:00.

mofish

Toledo Bend

Post by mofish »

Well my freind I see you found the site. Its good to see ya here. I see you are still catching them fish down there. One these days I'm gonna come fish with ya. When time allows.

Conley
Thanks,
Conley Staley
catt951

Toledo Bend

Post by catt951 »

Nov. 15th & 16th
Conditions: Post cold front, blue bird skies, northwest winds 10 to 15 mph gust to 20 mph. Temperatures in mid to upper 30s at night & low to upper 70s during the day.

Area: Back of 944 & Road Bed Cove drop-offs. 10’ to 15’ grass lines

Bait: Texas Rig Jig 3/8 oz., Black Neon Skirt with Black Neon Gene Larew Salt Craw Trailer

15th: 5 Bass 21 lbs. 12 oz.
16th: 5 Bass 24 lbs. 7 oz.
Big Bass: 15th 6.75 lb – 16th 7.02 lb

Come on Dude! I'll be glad to guide you!
catt951

Toledo Bend

Post by catt951 »

11/23/02
Conditions: Sunny Blue Bird Skies Lows in the upper 30s, Highs in the low to mid 70s,
Winds SE 5 to 10 mph
Area: Six Mile, White Oak, & Housen’ Bay
Bait: Little of every thing but the only one that caught Catt Jig 3/8 oz. Black-n-Blue Skirt
With 6” Gene Larew Hawg Craw Black-n-Blue with tail cut off.
Fish: I caught 8 bass no keepers, students (two) no fish, bite extremely slow I had a hard
Time feeling the bite.
catt951

Toledo Bend

Post by catt951 »

11/29/02
Area: Lowe's Creek 8' to 10' inside and outside grass-lines
Bait: 1/2 oz white Hildebrandt spinner
5-Bass: 21.05 lbs (7.58 lbs kicker 8am)
11/30/02
Area: inside grass-hump up in Housen Bay
Bait: 3/4 & 1/2 oz crawfish colored Traps
5-Bass: 21.75 lbs (7.76 lb kicker)
12/02/02
Area: south-lake 15-20 ft grass-edges
Bait: Texas Rigged Zoom Brush Hog / Watermelon Neon
5- Bass: 24.43 lbs (7.27 lb kicker by 1 :pm.)
JoeM

Toledo Bend

Post by JoeM »

catt- Looks like you're doing well. The weights are really impressive. Lunkers are way up there. Keep it up.

We appreciate the posts. Much obliged.
Good Fishing,
JoeM - Former Message Board Moderator
catt951

Toledo Bend

Post by catt951 »

Thank you JoeM
After doing some research I found that during a three-month period of late January to late April 2001, 17 bass weighing over ten pounds were recorded at various marinas around the lake. Knowing how secret some bass anglers are when it comes to giving out information, one can assume that there were additional double-digit bass that went unreported. The biggest bass taken in this three-month period was a 14 lb. 11 oz. monster.
2002 has been just as impressive with 26 bass weighing over ten pounds & the biggest was also in the 14 lb range. Since it was impounded in the late 1960s, Toledo has been known for producing massive numbers of bass in the three-to-five pound range. With bass over ten pounds becoming a common occurrence on The Bend, I think it is safe to say that Toledo is now classified as a trophy bass lake.
Both Texas & Louisiana wildlife agencies have done shock test that revealed more bass over ten pounds that lake fork. The major reason these fish are not being caught is because they are in the open main lake, due to the Bend’s size any wind keeps anglers off the lake.
If any one here is planning a trip to the Big Pond let me know on the boards here or at [email protected] or [email protected] . I will gladly supply all the information I can to make your trip one to remember. I received you letter to become a Bassin’ USA Pro but due to my work schedule I have not been able to answer. Maybe at a latter date I can try again. To everyone here Merci Beau Coup
CajunWannabe

Toledo Bend

Post by CajunWannabe »

Toledo Bend Bound for Christmas... Should be there on Christmas day and get 3-4 days of fishing in!

It'll be my second trip to the Bend - last time was in September. Any update on conditions to expect? I'll be in good hands with some locals in the Turtle Beach area - 3 new rods to try out, too!

We'll hit the usual spots in that area - what about stripers? Crappie? Are there walleye in there (heard that from a buddy of mine)? Cats? I know this is the bass forum, but you gotta ask, no?

CW
catt951

Toledo Bend

Post by catt951 »

Dude my #1 bait would be a 3/8 oz. Black/Blue Jig with a Gene Larew Hawg Craw trailer. #2 would be a 6" Gene Larew Hawg Craw Junebug/Blue Claws Texas Rigged with a 1/4 oz. weight. I would fish Salter Creek up towards hwy 191, the creek twists and turns all over the place. The Points on the south side Negreet straight out of Turners Creek, look on a map to see where the creek is near the bank. If the wind allows I would try Tennesse Bay Grass Flat! I'll be going up on Dec. 20 th & will give you a real time report!
catt951

Toledo Bend

Post by catt951 »

LAKE CONDITIONS:
At midweek Toledo Bend's lake level stood at 168.36 feet. Recent rains have dumped extra water but have had only minor effects on the condition of water clarity. North Lake remains stained but fishable; mid-lake is slightly stained-to-clear while south Toledo is basically clear. Recent rains have muddied the backs of main feeder-creeks all over the lake. Surface water temperatures range from fifty-one to fifty-five degrees.

FISHING REPORTS:
BASS With water temperatures coming down, a slower presentation of lures has been the most productive. Anglers are catching good numbers of bass on lipless crank baits such as Frenzy Rattlers and Rat-L-Traps. However, the most productive retrieve has been a medium-slow, stop-n-go approach. Good color choices include bleeding shiner, blue/silver, smoke shad, crawfish and fire tiger. Medium and deep-diving crank baits have also been on anglers' lists of fish-catching patterns. A proven method of catching bass on Toledo in December is to rig deep-diving crank bait such as a Frenzy Deep Mag Diver or Norman's DD22.
These big crank baits perform extremely well on Berkley's twelve-pound-test Big Game mono line. This line is small enough in diameter to allow such baits to run fourteen to eighteen feet and yet strong enough to land very large and hard-fighting bass. I mention these two baits (Frenzy & DD Series) often when it comes to deep cranking and for good reason. They consistently run straight and true right 'out-of-the-package', have excellent/high-quality hooks and another minor endorsement...they catch fish.
Another important factor when working crank bait is to use a 6 1/2' or 7' medium-action rod and save your heavy- action rods for worms or jigs. A long, medium-action rod will allow longer casts (long casts are important to help get crank bait down to proper depth) while at the same time will hook and hold fish by providing enough cushion in the rod to minimize lost fish when a good bass makes a run close to the boat.
Work deep crank baits over points and along the outside edges of grass and creek channels in twelve-to-eighteen feet. Use a stop-n-go retrieve after the bait reaches maximum depth. Also, at times in winter conditions, bass will pull off a point or drop-off and suspend. This is very common following a cold front and it is possible to find several big fish suspended together. Deep crank baits are ideal for such fish.
The spinner bait is also worth considering, especially when you have moderate temperatures, overcast skies and a slight breeze. Submerged vegetation in depths of 4-12 feet will almost always hold bass in these conditions. Consider a 1/2 oz. Stanley Tapered Titanium spinner bait in white and/or chartreuse to work over mid-depths. Following a cold front, consider a big 1 oz. spinner bait and slow-roll the bait along the bottom.
Finally, a 1/2 or 3/4 oz. vertical spoon is still producing in the deeper 25-40 ft. depths. Fish near creeks and deep tree lines for the best results. Also, don't rush this method...take your time and fish the area thoroughly.