Stick Marsh Farm 13 Catching Report

Read reports, exchange information and current conditions for the lakes, ponds & rivers in your area...
Hugh Crumpler

Post by Hugh Crumpler »

To: "Hugh Crumpler"
Subject: Stick Marsh & Farm 13 Catching Report
Date: Monday, January 27, 2003 8:30 AM

Cold weather blew in last week. WOW!! Dit it ever!! Coldest day in history for that day on Friday. Friday evening snow flakes were seen in Melbourne. First time since 1989. Bass fishing gets tough when cold fronts arrive in Flroida. Florida bass just do not like cold fronts. Water temperatures dropped below 50. First time I've noticed that. The fish acted like me. They wanted to stay in bed.

While a water temperature of 47 does not seem like too cold for fish in the North I wonder how those same fish would act in summer water temperatures of 90's. Florida waters get into the 90's most of the summer. It is all in perspective.

On Tuesday Gary came with his wife. They caught lots of bass. They missed lots more bass on wild shiners. The cold front had not arrived but it was on its way. On Thursday Gary came for a half day trip with a buddy. The cold front was to blow in that afternoon. First bass to eat a shiner came to the top and threw the shiner right back at Gary's buddy. The bass was well over ten pounds and cleared the water by over a foot. The rest of every ones hook sets were with more force. A goodly amount of bass were caught. We were one of a very few boats on the lake. No other guides.

On Saturday, Paul Ritchie came with Mike. Coldest day of the year. Coldest day ever for that day. Wind going about 25 mph. All those things are hinderances to catching Flroida bass. We did every thihng we knew to do. We started in the deep running water. We went to deep not moving water. We went to grass. We/they caught one bass.

Paul showed up in short sleeves. I had a long sleeve shirt, short sleeve shirt on top of that, heavy jacket on top of that, jeans, rain pants, and a 100 mph jacket on top of all that. Yes, I could move! My face felt like it was in a referigerator with wind blowing. Pauls shared some information about lures he painted and made. Paul also let me have some photo copies of places on Champlain where he had caught some bass.

We tried it all and caught one bass. The two stuck it out. We were one of three boats on the lake. No other guides.

On Saturday the cold front lingered. The wind did not blow near so bad. We caught one bass. We tried every thing we knew. I think Steve had another bite but, he didn't think so.

Sunday was the Super Bowl. I stayed home and stayed warm The weather warmed up and I was able to clean the truck and boat. The Super Bowl was won by the Tampa Bay Bucs. Go Bucks!!! Today is warmer. The rest of the week is 40's to 70's. The water should gradually warm. At some point the bass will hit a magic point where the bite begins again.

God Bless You, Hugh Crumpler III
Hugh Crumpler : Bassin' USA Prostaff : Florida
SMbass

Post by SMbass »

Hugh,

Just wanted to say thank you for your tips on fishing Lake Harris. The cold front made fishing tough, but I was able to cash a check with 3 bass for 9lbs and change flipping the Kissimmee Grass. Another competitor took a top 15 finish off the cypress trees, just like you said, but I was unable to get that pattern to work for me. Once again, thank you for your honest help, I do appreciate it.

Your friend,
Tim Carini
Tim Carini