The line goes thru the rod?

Share your comments, thoughts, criticisms and compliments about the many forms of tackle and equipment on the market today...
JoeMo

Post by JoeMo »

I can remember someone saying that to a tackle rep at the yearly show in Suffern, NY probably 7 (? maybe more) years ago.

We've all seen them advertised and in some cases watched someone use one of these rods.
I have watched, but I never did see anyone set the hook with one. I always had the feeling that the blank would sort of open like it was being unzippered and the bass would get away. Such is the trust I had with new innovations.

While I would hardly equate one of these unusual fishing rods with the Popeil Pocket Fisherman, I also would hardly equate them with Loomis, St. Croix or even Falcon

Do any of you own one of these er, rods? With the benefit of hindsight, do you think it was a worthy purchase? Seriously, would you buy one if it were on e-bay tonight?

Opinions anticipated. JoeMo
Good Fishing,
JoeMo - Bassin' USA Message Board Moderator
dansfishntales

Post by dansfishntales »

Joe,
I own 3 or 4 of the graphite rods with the line through the center. In fact, I was on the pro staff for Lite Rod several years ago. Alan Bryan was the owner, and came from Irving, Texas. I helped him find a new blank manufacture when the Skyline blanks were becoming to expensive for him, plus the inside surface was rougher.
As for using them, I really did use the things. It seemed to take a little heavier lure to cast once the line started pulling water into the blank. The line had to be threaded through with a special wire device. Actually it was only the top half of the rod that had the line threaded in this model.
It had great sensitivity, and the hook setting was equally good.
In 1984 I used a couple of these while filming a show on Bull Shoals Lake with Virgil Ward. Greg, Virgil's grandson, who ran the camera boat, was very impressed with the rod, and tried one.
I was using a Rat-L-Trap most of the time, as it was better for casting. Light lures created some backlash problems.
Almost forgot - Alan sent one of his rods to the National Fresh Water Fishing Hall of Fame, so there should be one on display.
Hope this answered some of your questions on this product. Doubt if we will ever see them again, but then again......
Dan
Dan Galusha : Bassin' USA Prostaff : Illinois
JoeMo

Post by JoeMo »

Dan- Thanks for the update. I'm sure you enjoyed using the rods. Your description sounds like it wasn't a bad piece of equpment at all. Sorry for sounding critical in my post, but if you and Virgil liked them that's good enough for me.

Much obliged. JoeMo
Good Fishing,
JoeMo - Bassin' USA Message Board Moderator