Rusty hooks?

Share your comments, thoughts, criticisms and compliments about the many forms of tackle and equipment on the market today...
bassin butch

Rusty hooks?

Post by bassin butch »

Do you have any advice about avoiding rusty hooks. I keep them in a Plano box and have e-hook it holders to keep them organized but they are getting rusty. Do you guys guys remove your hooks from the boat after fishing trips? Hooks today are a little pricey!
Butch
JoeMo

Rusty hooks?

Post by JoeMo »

Butch- I personally try to airdry all my lures and hooks before returning them to their rightful location. That gives me a chance to check them out when I get home.

Is that the only way? Probably not, but it works for me.

Also, awhile back Sports Authority had a sale on the small (maybe 3-1/2"x5-1/2") plastic boxes that have a plastic bead material in the groove that the cover fits into. It keeps water out and hooks dry. I bought 4 or 5.

Hope this helps. JoeMo
Good Fishing,
JoeMo - Bassin' USA Message Board Moderator
MMT

Rusty hooks?

Post by MMT »

I use black nickle hooks mostly and they do not rust out like bronze. You really have to avoid them getting wet. I store them in one of those Flambeau boxes with the gel strip to keep out moisture. I also put a penny in the box. Rumor has it that a penny will attract any moisture in the box.
Craig DeFranzo
mofish

Rusty hooks?

Post by mofish »

JoeMo and butch,

I have a peice of closed cell foam that I have put on the rod box lid (the one that I dont keep my rods in) I hang the lures and hooks that I have used on this to hang and dry before they go back into the box. You would be surprised just how many hooks this saves. Not only that but it keeps you skirts on spinnerbaits and buzzbaits nice and dry too. (which helps save those rubberbands we were talking about JoeMo) Just remember it when you open the lid that they are there or you might end up hanging one in you.
Thanks,
Conley Staley
bassin butch

Rusty hooks?

Post by bassin butch »

I think I'll give the closed cell a try and let it air dry when I get back at home. The penny trick is also something I'll give a
try. Thanks to each of you for your advice and tips.
Good Fishing
Butch
brendanc

Rusty hooks?

Post by brendanc »

Butch,

All these guys have hit some goods points. Like MMT said it's all about the hooks getting wet. If you make a point "never" to put a wet hook or lure back into the case with the others, you'll avoid this problem all together. I find that if I stick them in a piece of foam to dry, or pile them up away from the dry ones, I never get around to sorting out the hooks later. I have just opted to through away the old bronze hooks and hang dry any crankbaits. Also, MMT mentioned different finishes on hooks that will avoid rusting. I know that the black pearl and nickel Teflon hooks I have used from Eagle Claw never rust up on me. There are a few different companies out there making hooks with these types of finishes to them. It’s just another option for you.

BC
Brendan C.
JoeMo

Rusty hooks?

Post by JoeMo »

Butch- The tips added by MMT, Mofish and Brendan should give all of us some insight into how we can avoid (perhaps eliminate) rusty hooks.

Thanks to you all for posting. JoeMo
Good Fishing,
JoeMo - Bassin' USA Message Board Moderator
MMT

Rusty hooks?

Post by MMT »

I wanted to add something here. Not only should you not get your hooks wet when you store them but be aware that salted baits can also wreak havoc on good hooks. Ever leave a hook in a Larew or Senko for a few weeks???? Rust City!!!
Craig DeFranzo