Rattle Traps in real shallow water

Share your comments, thoughts, criticisms and compliments about the many forms of tackle and equipment on the market today...
Brother Pool

Post by Brother Pool »

I fish a 40 acre watershed lake at my Dad's place in southern In. The Corps of Engineers built it back in 56. Local folks say "It used to be pretty deep." Yeah, right. Well, it was made for flood control, so over the years it's silted in big time. At normal pool you'd be lucky to find a hole 5' deep. The average depth (believe it or not) is about 3', and it's plum full of submerged stumps and laydowns. The lake is full of shad and thier schooling now, excellant time for a Rattle Trap, with a little modifying. I've found that by cutting off the forward facing point on both treble hooks I can fish these lures at about any speed I want and don't have to worry (too much) about snagging on all the junk on the bottom of this VERY shallow lake! It's not uncommen on an average day to catch 4 to 5 fish ranging from 3lbs-5lbs! Next time you get aggrevated hanging up your Rattle Traps, get out your wire cutters and do a little Modifyn'
[b.i]Brother Pool[/b,i]
[e-mail][email protected][/e-mail]
MMT

Post by MMT »

Try the floating trap. It won't dig in too deep and floats back up when you stop cranking it. i've been using them over the shallow grass beds around my way for years. Put better hooks on it though.
Craig DeFranzo
britchie

Post by britchie »

Excellent tip on the floating trap MMT. It helped me on Ky and Barkley catch some good fish in the shallow stuff over the weekend.
Brian Ritchie : Bassin' USA Prostaff : Kentucky
JoeMo

Post by JoeMo »

Brother Pool- Welcome aboard. Excellent way to catch bass. Sounds like we all would like a back seat in your boat.

MMT- Ah, the Rat-L-Trap Floater. Reminds me of doing that behind the jail in Riverhead quite a few years ago.

Brian- Good to hear from you. We missed you. I trust you were just busy. You, too enjoy the Trap that floats.

To all- Thanks for posting. Much obliged.
JoeMo
Good Fishing,
JoeMo - Bassin' USA Message Board Moderator
MMT

Post by MMT »

Joe, you are not talking about Chaney pond are you??? I didn't even think to put my boat in there!! That floater is a neat little deal.
Craig DeFranzo
ukey28

Post by ukey28 »

Two things on Cheney's Pond. First it went the way of most the small LI Ponds in the drought this year and secondly SC Sheriffs Consider it within their safety perimeter. If you can get past that , Good Luck and let me know how you make out!!!
Ukey 28
Frank : Bassin' USA Prostaff : New York
JoeMo

Post by JoeMo »

No, I think Eric told me it was "Little River". Too weedy as soon as it warmed up.
Could it have fed Cheney's Pond?

I seriously doubt I could find where we were.
And as Frank said, I might come out in cuffs. lol

Another good thread. Thanks.
Good Fishing,
JoeMo - Bassin' USA Message Board Moderator
MMT

Post by MMT »

It won't be the first time I had to worry about snipers in a guard booth while fishing!
Craig DeFranzo