Anti-Backlash Line

Share your comments, thoughts, criticisms and compliments about the many forms of tackle and equipment on the market today...
Mets9n31

Anti-Backlash Line

Post by Mets9n31 »

Im trying to improve my baitcasting techniques and just bought a Shimano Curado SF and Shimano Clarus combo and was wondering what your opinions are on which lines preform the best in casting situations where you want to minimize backlash potential in adition to the VBS and cast control. Any sugesstions are welcome and appreciated.
Thanks Gary
ANY day fishing beats ANY day at work! Eat Sleep Fish!

If you dissagree......kiss my BASS!
brianc

Anti-Backlash Line

Post by brianc »

Gary,

Great choice in a reel - that is going to be your biggest ally when it comes to casting.

As far as line goes, you are going to hear a bunch of different opinions on it, but my recommendation is McCoy's Mean Green, something in the neighborhood of 15lb test. I'm fishing a Japanese version of that Curado SF with it and have no problems at all. It is limp and has little memory, but is still strong and I do a lot of pitching to heavy stuff with it. It's relatively inexpensive, and backlashes are nil, even in stout wind.

Good luck and feel free to contact me if you need any further info!
Brian Caudill : Bassin' USA Prostaff : Ohio
BASSGUIDEPA

Anti-Backlash Line

Post by BASSGUIDEPA »

Gary,

Very good question and an excellent choice in reels. I am a Quantum man myself. No matter on the type of reel, I think the most important factor is the reels braking system. Make sure that the braking system is set properly (according to your technique), or you will have problems with backlashes. I have some of my Quantums spooled with 10lb test and had no problems fishing that line. Just remember one thing--practice, practice, practice........

Mark Brzozowski : Bassin' USA Prostaff : Pennsylvania
http://www.bassguidepa.com
bassnron

Anti-Backlash Line

Post by bassnron »

Hi Gary,
Great choice in reels. One suggestion that I would like to offer is to make sure that you set your vbs with 4 brakes in the on position and 2 in the off position (pushed in towards the center). Also make sure that they are along a straight line, ie. 180degrees from each other. This balances the spool and helps it to perform to its best. Next is to adjust the spool tension control knob so that it has enough tension on the spool to prevent over runs. If you have any trouble with a back lash, then the spool tension is not set tight enough. If you get an over run, then simply tighten the spool tension knob again. You may have to do this several times but once you have everything "dialed in" you will be very pleased with the performance of your reels.

As for line, I don't use anything except the new Rapala mono line. I like both the finesse and long cast. Try a spool of it and I believe that you will like it also. It's not an expensive line, ($3.99-4.99 per spool at Bass Pro Shops) and it is so tough that I don't even strip my reels after a tournament any more. I'll use the same line 5 or 6 tournaments before I replace it.

Tight lines and best wishes,
Ronnie Long
Bassin'USA Prostaff: North Carolina
Harrisburg, NC
Ronnie Long
Bassin'USA Prostaff: North Carolina
Mets9n31

Anti-Backlash Line

Post by Mets9n31 »

Thanks to all the reply and i guess i made a good choice in reels. I researched my reel choice for several months and i guess it paid off. Ive been using fireline and IM less than impressed. Thanks for the tip and i think ill try the Rapala line next. I have a spool that i bought for my spinning gear but i guess ill give it a shot. Any more suggestions are still welcome.

ANY day fishing beats ANY day at work! Eat Sleep Fish!

If you dissagree......kiss my BASS!