Question: How much life do you expect out of a spinnerbait?

Share your comments, thoughts, criticisms and compliments about the many forms of tackle and equipment on the market today...
MMT

Post by MMT »

I have some baits I've used for 10years with only hook sharpening being the only thing I've done to them. I also make some baits where I use a thinner wire that makes them prone to breaking. My question is this.....if you spend 5.00 on a custom spinnerbait that has all of the bells and whistles and you catch 30 bass on it and it breaks, would you still be satisfied with its performance?
Craig DeFranzo
SMbass

Post by SMbass »

Craig,
$5 for a spinnerbait is not much at all, and if it caught fish and broke.....thats ok. Lets face it, it cost $6 for a bag of Senko's....and that only lasts for 20-30bass.

Here's a story for you. When I was fishing the Pro Tour tournament at Santee Cooper I was using a Strike King Pro Model spinnerbait, which has fairly heavy wire. I modified it by using a 4.5 and 3.5 Colorado blades. I fished this for most of practice and non stop during the first two days of the tournament. I quickly realized the spinnerbait only had about a 10hr of fishing life before the wire would break from the force of the throbing blades. Was I upset, in a way yes, but that combination was catching bass so it was worth it. Fortunately the spinnerbait would always break on the cast......so i didnt have to worry about loosing a bass because the wire broke. My point.....if it cathes bass but doesnt have a long life its worth every penny
Tim Carini
MMT

Post by MMT »

Tim, I hear what you are saying and I agree. I just have a problem with making a bait that I know will fail despite actually catching some fish. In my opinion, I've seen what the bait can do and its a trade off I have to accept.
This is my senario: I met up with Frank a few months ago to build a short arm bait, there really wasn't a large variety of already manufactured baits to look at so I played it by ear and checked out a few Zorro baits Frank passed to me. I decided to take all of what I like about those baits (and spinnerbaits in general) and put it in the new bait, while taking what I dislike out. Once this was done, I had a bait with 3-D eyes, a Gammie hook, Sampo swivel, HydroSilk skirt and some plated blades...all good stuff. Now I wanted to kick it up a bit and add something that would make the bait truly unique. I experimented, and still am with a thinner diameter wire form. Now, the thinner form throbs and the bait shudders as it comes through the water. The skirt pulsates as if waves were running through it....it is cool. The thinner wire form is what makes the bait truly different but at the same time is its weakness. I took a few of them out to the "proving grounds" last weekend and really did well. I took over 30 fish on the first bait before it snapped just above the line tie. This told me that like your situation, the wire broke due to the throbbing of the blades. I also didn't take a truly big bass on it. I'm so sure that any bigger fish would just mangle it beyond recognition. But like you said, if it catches a ton of fish but has a short lifespan.....I guess it is good enough. Thanks
Craig DeFranzo
mofish

Post by mofish »

I agree if it catches fish then its worth it. Then again if you look at through my wifes eyes she don't think so. LOL. I have a hard time making myself buy a expensive lure, but, if I know its going to catch fish then I'll buy it.

MMT have you tried the titanium wire? It gives alot of vibration and doesn't break as easy. Plus a big fish wouldn't break it. I'm sure you thought of that already though.
Thanks,
Conley Staley
catt951

Post by catt951 »

Which do you want?

Bait in your tackle box?

or

Fish in your livewell?
MMT

Post by MMT »

I have my answer, thanks Guys!....Catt, you summed it up.
Craig DeFranzo
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

Craig,

These days, everything is about being "proactive" in stead of "reactive". If you already know that your bait is to be considered "disposable", then just come right out and let your customers know. If you have a disclaimer on the package stating that the bait is not made to last long, but rather that it was made to maximize its ability to attract and catch fish, you have at least given people the choice to decide for themselves.

Good luck with the new baits...

BC
Brendan C.