New bass boat: need options?

Share your comments, thoughts, criticisms and compliments about the many forms of tackle and equipment on the market today...
bassin butch

Post by bassin butch »

My wife told me to start looking for a new boat. Told me to sell my current one after next summer (2007). No rush to find a new one right away, but want to start my research. Heres the skinny: Current boat:97 nitro 700 lx, 17 ft. with a merc 115. My garage is 19.8 ft deep. I want a 17-18 ft glass rig with a 150 or 175, the trailer will need a swing front. Nice beam width 86 or better, plently of storage, high quality construction, great ride on choppy water, and solid trailer construction. Any boats I should consider?
Bassin
Butch
Table Rock Guide

Post by Table Rock Guide »

Butch, check out the new 2007 Skeeters, SX190 or the SX180.. Nice boats for the buck.. Alot of room, good in choppy water.. Lots of room for eveything.. Good wide beams.. And with a Yamaha 150 VMAX or VMAX HPDI you can't go wrong for a glass boat..

Next Also go check out the new G3 Alum boats.. Very nice built boat for the buck.. Not the glass boat but I would run one anytime!! Very fast and alot of room without the glass cost.. Ask Johnnie about his I think he still runs one..

Good Luck hope you find what you are looking for..
Capt. Don House
Chauffeured Guide Service
US Coast Guard License and Insured
Table Rock Lake, Missouri
http://www.bassproguide.com
http://www.strikebass.com
http://www.captaincrappie.com
johnnie crain outdoors

Post by johnnie crain outdoors »

Both of Don's options are right on. I do still run a G-3 and a Cajun. I find myself going with the G-3 more and more. Another great option would be an 18 ft. Champion, with Yamaha or Suzuki motor. I ran a Champion for 20 years, and it's still going. Good luck, wish my wife would tell me to buy a new boat instead of a lawn mower!! :rolleyes:
Johnnie Crain
Capn jack duggins

Post by Capn jack duggins »

I would also opt for the aluminum. Horsepower to weight ratio is much better than glass and you will concentrate more on fishing than protecting your "pretty" boat. My boat bumps about, anyplace I put it and my boat has "charicter"! (sp)
The rising gas prices should tell you to go with aluminum, too! Unless you have really deep pockets . . .
Happiness Is a Smallmouth On a Stiff Rod

Cap'n Jack Duggins
Master Maine Guide
http://www.MainelySmallmouth.com
JOE D.

Post by JOE D. »

Butch,My wife told me the something I got a 05 stratos 294 loaded.for under 30.Boat has the best motor 200 e-tech.If I knew the money I would be saving with the e-tech on gas & oil I would have got the 201XL.Handles big water great and runs around 72/73 mph tounry wt.2guys.
RW-reeler

Post by RW-reeler »

I have a question about a diference of glass and aluminum boats. Are there any alum. boats that don't get pushed as bad by the wind? I have a BassAmerica mod-v boat and if the wind blows I need to always adjust with the trolling motor(tm). When I fish in a buddies glass boat he is not on the tm all the time like I would be. Is it the shape, how high the tin boat sits in the water, or is there some other reason the metal boats get pushed more?
Please fed my curiosity.

RW-reeler
johnnie crain outdoors

Post by johnnie crain outdoors »

RW, glass boats are far more heavy and do sit lower in the water which keeps the wind from pushing them around. There's a lot of pros and cons on tin and fiber boats. If you opt for a Maxi-tin such as a 20 ft. G-3 you won't have a problem being pushed by the wind, the 18 footer is okay but does get pushed a little. I guess I still prefer the fiber, even tho it costs much more to run and maintain, as far as scratches etc. that doesn't bother me, I'm not in it for show. May affect the resale tho. For stability, speed and looks, go fiber, for less maintenance, cheaper to run and tow, go tin. Good luck, Johnnie
Johnnie Crain
bassin butch

Post by bassin butch »

Found a great deal on a used 2001 champion 181 tournament with a 150 yamaha vmax. Anyone know if I should be careful? Is the Vmax a reliable motor? ect.......