This last years hottest bait?

Share your comments, thoughts, criticisms and compliments about the many forms of tackle and equipment on the market today...
gullicad

Post by gullicad »

So What has been the hottest bait or soft plastic out there this year. My personal favorites have been the white chatter bait and chompers hula grub in a light green color.
bassamasta

Post by bassamasta »

Personally, as far as putting beasts and bruisers in the boat it has been the JigX for me. A Stren Series tournament was won with Jig X recently and I believe that the Jig X has been responsible for alot of strong tournament finishes this year. I know it has for me. I think that by summer or fall of next year this bait or its brother the Tube X will be as hot as the Chatterbait, at least with tournament fishermen.
johnnie crain outdoors

Post by johnnie crain outdoors »

I have to go with Mann's Dragin Swim Worm in the natural brown/orange color. Caught lots of nice bass on them this year. 2nd would be the Zoom Baby Brush Hog/ Black Sapphire.
Johnnie Crain
bassin butch

Post by bassin butch »

4 inch black/blue kinami flash 2 years in a row now. In the fall Tom Monsoor swim jig with a zoom speed craw trailer green pumpkin color. Chatterbait on clear spinnerbait lakes, no luck in any stained lakes.

Bassin Butch
MMT

Post by MMT »

I'm not sure about that Chatterbait. I think it was hyped up a lot more than it was successful. A couple opf baits stand out as really coming into their own within the last year throughout the country....
1-swimbaits-everyone is trying to get on board with this big fish bait
2-Float n Fly jigs- Cold water only but as soon as you lose the warmth, it is all any serious smallmouth angle will fish
3-topwater frog- Whether it is a hollow body model or a Horney Toad type, these things have been all the rage.

The Senko and Beaver have held their own as well.
Craig DeFranzo
swlchris

Post by swlchris »

caught more fish on a wacky worm this year than ever. a new spinnerbait from Secert Weapon lures has been a great search bait.
Fish-N-Fool

Post by Fish-N-Fool »

My hottest bait by far was the Red or Green Shad colored Sink-N-Fool. I got about 90 of the 125 fish over 4 pounds on one of these baits.
Like this one here on green shad

Or this one I got just at dusk on a red shad

If it works here a a video of me catching her. Look at the trash I was in. It was a jungle under there in a willow thicket. This is a great video.

Capn jack duggins

Post by Capn jack duggins »

Man I feel old thinking about "last years hottest bait" going all the way back to the 1970's and the Mann's jelly worms and Creme's natural worms and Mister Twister Hawg Frawg's, and have come to the conclusion that almost nothing in fishing is "new".
Sure, someone comes out with a new color or slightly different shape, but new to some is old hat to others!

What really matters is who is going to set off the next "new bait" by winning a tourny or catching a new state or world record and what kind of advertising will it take to make it the top bait for this year?

Last year I still went back to 3 1/2" & 4" tubes, 5" Senkos, Fat Ika's and my usual topwaters like the Cavitron Buzz and Zara Spook!
Happiness Is a Smallmouth On a Stiff Rod

Cap'n Jack Duggins
Master Maine Guide
http://www.MainelySmallmouth.com