I need help with my reel?

Share your comments, thoughts, criticisms and compliments about the many forms of tackle and equipment on the market today...
fishinforever

Post by fishinforever »

Ok, i have a Abu Garcia 5500CL3 baitcaster. I have had it for about 4-6 years. I cant seem to fix the Pawl. When im reeling the handle and the pawl is spinning and or going side to side, when it get to the end to go the other way, it sits there, like its sticking. Can anyone help as to what the problom is?
:Luke
herndonpro

Post by herndonpro »

Luke

I had the same problem, a good cleaning and some reel oil solved the problem. On mine if I gave it a little push it would work and then stop again, but the cleaing solved the problem.
mofish

Post by mofish »

Most likley it needs replaceing. Inside the level wind there is a blade shaped part if it is worn it will have little ridges on it that will keep it from working correctly. If you know how to take the reel apart you can clean it and see if that works. Inspect it and see those parts need replacing. I believe last time I did mine it cost me like $15 for the pawl and replacement parts. (but its been a while since I did it)
Thanks,
Conley Staley