2 stroke or 4?

Share your comments, thoughts, criticisms and compliments about the many forms of tackle and equipment on the market today...
bassin butch

2 stroke or 4?

Post by bassin butch »

Now I must start with "I am not biased one way or the other". The question I have is which is your preference 2 stroke or 4?
What I have found on my own by web research:

2 strokes can be significantly lighter the 4 strokes (lighter weight) equals better hole shot and top end speed
4 strokes a prone to added dealer maintenance costs
4 strokes are bulky so if garage depth is an issue you can have a problem storing you rig
4 strokes are more fuel efficient
4 strokes are more reliable

I have some choices to make and your thoughts on this subject would great to hear.

Bassin Butch
RW-reeler

2 stroke or 4?

Post by RW-reeler »

Butch, I have a 2s and living in the midwest I of course park it for about 3 months, some times I would like to get it out but do not want to go through the storing/winterizing steps. A buddy hade a motor go bad and put a 4s on as a replacement. It is quiet and smooth and no winterization, he does need to change oil but if it warms up some we hop in and go.
Just some thing to think about.

RW-reeler
brendanc

2 stroke or 4?

Post by brendanc »

I have a 2s Yamaha HPDI and it is the best motor I have ever owned. It has been trouble free since 2004 (knock wood). I have also heard some really good things about the eTec motors (2s).
Brendan C.
brettbasspro

2 stroke or 4?

Post by brettbasspro »

oh my goodness go with a 4 stroke hands down better then 2 stroke. 2 strokes spit out raw fuel out of the prop. its louder. and also has these fits where it smokes so bad people stare at u like ur engine blew up
Brett Bassin Pro
brendanc

2 stroke or 4?

Post by brendanc »

Brett,

Do you have a preferred brand of 4 stroke? I know a few guys that own Honda's and they are unbelievable...

BC
Brendan C.