Grass Carp Survey

This is the place for off-topic posts. Have something besides fishing on your mind? Post it here. WARNING THIS AREA CONTAINS CONTENT THAT MAY NOT BE SUITABLE FOR CHILDREN!!!
JoeMo

Grass Carp Survey

Post by JoeMo »

Ever since I moved to CT and discovered that GC had moved to my lake at the same time that I did, I have tried to keep in touch with these disreputable characters. (Actually they are Vegetarians, not desperados) That last part isn't meant as a peace proposal. I am definitely at war with those residing in my lake.
The governing fathers of my community will be meeting soon to determine how to attack the
weed growth again and it's obvious the first
proposal will be more GC's. Ugh! Well, I will be on the lake committee and we'll see who puts more of this blight into our 55 acre bass paradise.
Now, the survey: I know they are in Ball Pond which is not far from Danbury. I've heard they are in Peach Lake and I know they are in Mahopac. How about some input, guys. Nothing illegal, mind you. This is a reputable Web Site.
Good Fishing, JoeMo Moderator
PS- PETA members are urged to observe the mistletoe attached to my coattail.
Good Fishing,
JoeMo - Bassin' USA Message Board Moderator
d.mcgarry

Grass Carp Survey

Post by d.mcgarry »

Joe, I suggest catching these beautiful gold fish and relocating them to another area (Fulton Fish Market)!! When wil man realize not to fool with mother nature. Good Carpin Dan ps- they love corn or dough.
Dan McGarry : Bassin' USA Prostaff : New York
JoeMo

Grass Carp Survey

Post by JoeMo »

Dan- I've heard that White Muddler Flies can nail these big buzzards.
The Carp have (in my opinion) delivered the death knell to our Milfoil, thereby allowing a curly leafed pond weed (help you biologists out there) and a red tipped cabomba-like weed to stake out new areas.
With our Weed Harvester working overtime, we can see these big guys hanging out in the shallows. The Muddler tempts me, but I'm wary about using a decent fly rod on these devils.
(Besides, it's not my fly rod) lol
Should I troll pickles?
JoeMo Moderator
Good Fishing,
d.mcgarry

Grass Carp Survey

Post by d.mcgarry »

Joe, I know carp have there "nitch" in the eco system and they are a nessasary in areas that nature put them. My point is why do homeowners think becuase they live on a lake they have fisheries Biologist degrees???? Good Bassin Dan Bass
Dan McGarry : Bassin' USA Prostaff : New York
brendanc

Grass Carp Survey

Post by brendanc »

Introducing "ANYTHING" into a body of water that is not privately owned is illegal. That includes transportation of any species of fish (Yes, bass too). The theme that really rings through here is basically what Dan said:

"They are screwing around with an eco system"

Along with the fish also come diseases, parasites and many other things that these home-brew biologists never even realize are present. It goes back to the age-old struggle between fishermen and the “People who like a pretty view”. The fishermen wants to keep the lake and eco system as healthy as possible, while the “People who like a pretty view” want to make everything nice a pretty.

These are the same people who buy a house near an airport and then call up and petition to have the flight routes changed so the planes do not pass over their neighborhood. The same people who move into a home next to a school and then complain about how much noise the kids make all day long and during the football, baseball & soccer games on the weekend. The same people who buy a house on a lake and then complain when a fishermen is fishing near their home…

All I have to say is “The world would be a much better place, if everybody fished!”
Brendan C.
JoeMo

Grass Carp Survey

Post by JoeMo »

Dan/Brendan- I hope I didn't imply that the Homeowners' Association of which I am a Member, did anything illegal. But recall that I said they got here as we did. It was by popular demand and full approval of CT DEP.
I suspect that if it weren't for DEP, you could walk across the lake on the backs of the x!#<+*& carp.
After this mild Winter (by CT standards) the weed has taken off. The Harvester works hard to contain the weed and in a lot of cases it sets up weed line edges that weren't there before. This happens when the harvester actually "leans" on the weed so hard that it pulls a group of the weeds out of the lake bottom. After a day or so, it looks great for angling. But it will never get rid of the weed (Thank goodness), just contains them.

I'm not sure what the GC eat now. They seem to spend most of their time in the shallow cove areas. They are like underwater Canadian Geese. lol Fortunately they can't get up on dry land. Everyone would have to wear boots.

As I said originally, if I find a way to reduce the GC "school", the Association may hire a forensic pathologist to determine who the "sick individual" is who doesn't love Grass Carp. (Film at 11! )
Good Fishing,
ukey28

Grass Carp Survey

Post by ukey28 »

Sorry to hear things ran amuck in Conn. Grass carp when used properly can be beneficial. In most states the only kind that can be introduced is triploid carp that can't reproduce. Stocked in proper amounts they control weeds and stick around about 10years. Then the lake is resurveyed and decisions are made a second time. Problem is, folks decide that some weed is too much weed and they increase the density of the carp and Guntersville happens again. Soooo if you wish to eliminate some carp, Frozen peas, canned corn and dough all have a place in the grass carp anglers tool box. So does a large treble hook with an egg sinker pegged ahead of it for flipping in the shallows (sight fishing). Stick your knife point in through the back and sever the spinal cord so they don't break up the tackle in the boat and your chinese fast food restauranteur will love your donation. They tried them in Westhampton Golf course years ago and when they finished eating the weeds in the lake, you could see them push their heads out of the water and eat regular grass growing on the sides of the ponds. they are ravenous, good luck Joe
Frank : Bassin' USA Prostaff : New York
JoeMo

Grass Carp Survey

Post by JoeMo »

Frank- Was this the same golf course that Al Kellar tried netting and they highjumped over the net?
My biggest concern is the almost complete decimation of Eurasian Milfoil and the explosion of the what I call curly-leafed pond weed (not its real name) I'm not convinced that this weed is as beneficial as the original Milfoil crop.
With all this great information coming on my e-mail, I wonder if our Landowners Association will accuse me of not promoting Catch & Release. I could give a darn.
Thanks for the info. Good Fishing, JoeMo
Good Fishing,
mofish

Grass Carp Survey

Post by mofish »

Try Bow Hunting for them. Its alot of fun. We do it here. IT also keeps the population in check. All you need is a cheap bow, Zebco 888 and a fiberglass arrow tiped with a fishing tip. Bass fish and bow hunt all in the same day. What a blast.
Thanks,
Conley Staley
JoeMo

Grass Carp Survey

Post by JoeMo »

Conley- It has to be a low impact system because if the Tree-Huggers get wind of what I'm doing, they will tar and feather me and run me out of town on a rail. (And that's the good news) PETA will come in an provide the tar (but not the feathers!)
Thanks, but I think I will use corn, potatoes or maybe that white Muddler I mentioned. We'll see and I'll keep you all updated. They are getting big, by golly.
Thanks for posting. JoeMo
Good Fishing,