Take a kid fishing? You Bet!

This is the place for off-topic posts. Have something besides fishing on your mind? Post it here. WARNING THIS AREA CONTAINS CONTENT THAT MAY NOT BE SUITABLE FOR CHILDREN!!!
bassin butch

Post by bassin butch »

Take a kid fishing? I bought my 3 year old grandson a fishing set up at WalMart last saturday. Put on a practice plug and within 15 minutes he was casting pretty well. 3 days later he was driving his mom (my daughter) nuts talking about fishing. He asked his mommy to call PaPA because he wants to go fishing in my boat. FYI: this little guy is (3) years old, guess what I'm doing this weekend. In summary: take a kid fishing. As for me: I'm glad to introduce a new angler to the sport> watch out Kevin Van Dam, competition is coming to the water.
ED F.

Post by ED F. »

That sounds absolutely great! I have a three-year-old son mysef, and I can't wait to begin taking him out. But I can't even control him in the house, in the yard, or in the stores, so I am very nervous taking him out on the boat. He just wants to run! Not much room on boat for him to do that! But good luck to you, and let us know how you make out! Catch a bunch!!!
bassin butch

Post by bassin butch »

Ed; I took the little guy out for 1 hour in the boat. I hooked the fish and he reeled them in with grandma's help. We caught 9 pan fish and 1 very small bass, he had a blast and was very good in the boat. I must say I felt a little odd pulling up to a bait shop with a glass bass boat in tow and buying a container of red worms.
Good fishing!
Butch
ED F.

Post by ED F. »

That is great news! I'll bet you made that little guys day! Was going out for one hour predetermined, or was that all he (or you and grandma) could take? (LOL) I bet it was because someone said "I have to go potty"! Or was the sun too strong for the little fella?

So has he asked to go again? And did you notice if he liked the boat ride better than the actual fishing? Please let me know what I can expect when I take my little monkey!

PS. Very funny about the worms! (LOL)
britchie

Post by britchie »

Ed, for my son Dalton, the boat ride is part of the trip. I take my son every couple of weeks and the fish dictate the amount of time we spend. He is a fair caster for 4 years old and has caught some fish on his own. But for the most part I'll hook the fish and let him reel em in. About 2 weeks ago we went out for a few hours on the Ohio,
mid-day a light rain started so I was throwing a zara spook jr., caught several fish. When I would hook up I'd let him reel them in, mostly keeper size fish, but one was over 3 and I didn't realize it was that big on the hook set. I enjoyed watching him reel it in as much as he did. Have fun with your kids at any time your can.
Brian Ritchie : Bassin' USA Prostaff : Kentucky
bassin butch

Post by bassin butch »

Ed; We stopped fishing because we just about ran out of worms. I lost a ton to those little bait bandits. Sat the little guy on my lap as I ran across the lake and he helped steer. So I would say the boat ride is part of the deal. He enjoyed the fishing the most, and yes he was very happy. I think we will have another angler on the water, as fishing is all the little guy wants to talk about.
Thanks
Butch

ED F.

Post by ED F. »

Great, now there will be even more competition to worry about!

Just kidding! It sounds like grandpa won't be able to go fishing alone anymore! LOL
A brand new little fishing buddy! That's great!!!
JoeMo

Post by JoeMo »

I had a friend in our bass club years back. His name was BillyMac and his thing was Take a Kid Fishing. He started his own "Clinic" at the largest lake on LI and ran it gratis (paid for everything himself) until he joined our Club. He then ran it with the Club's help until the day he died in 1992.

I know that somewhere he was watching Butch and his Grandson plus RiverRat and Dalton.

His favorite saying was:
"You never stand so tall as when you bend to help a child"

I agree with you all. Take a Kid fishing.
JoeMo
Good Fishing,
JoeMo - Bassin' USA Message Board Moderator
britchie

Post by britchie »

Thanks Jo, I wish I could have met Billymac.
Just wish there were more like him.
Brian Ritchie : Bassin' USA Prostaff : Kentucky
JoeMo

Post by JoeMo »

Brian- You can meet Billymac. My friend Eric said shortly after Billymac passed on that he (Eric) was fishing a local lake and a swan he had never seen there before was shadowing him.

The next time you and Dalton are out together, look around. Might be an osprey or a beaver, but I like to think it is Billymac.

Be well. Say hi to Dalton. JoeMo
Good Fishing,
JoeMo - Bassin' USA Message Board Moderator