Deep Water or Shallow?

This is the place for off-topic posts. Have something besides fishing on your mind? Post it here. WARNING THIS AREA CONTAINS CONTENT THAT MAY NOT BE SUITABLE FOR CHILDREN!!!
JoeMo

Deep Water or Shallow?

Post by JoeMo »

Which do you prefer-
(a) Deep Water
(b) Shallow Water

Then, let us know what you mean by deep or shallow.

Now, we really don't care on this General Fish Talk if you are catching Crappie, Perch or Bass or Catfish, you name it.

This is suitable for discussion whether you are a veteran or a new guy. Let's hear what you all think. JoeMo
Good Fishing,
JoeMo - Bassin' USA Message Board Moderator
dansfishntales

Deep Water or Shallow?

Post by dansfishntales »

Joe,
My pick would be shallow water. As you know from my other postings I love to flip and
pitch, and that is a shallow water tactic. With shallow water the fish holding areas are
much more visible, the strikes easier to detect, and there can be a lot of fancy leaps (great
for the camera, but bad for the landing percentage).

I also like using shallow crankbaits and spinnerbaits in stump fields, and rattling crankbaits
over shallow flats where bait fish are being chased.

This doesn't say I don't like deeper water, as I've fished it a lot, especially in Bull Shoals
Lake, Lake George, and some deep strip pit lakes. Here I use deep crankbaits, heavy
spinnerbaits, jigging spoons, tubes and jig combinations.

As for my definition of shallow and deep water it is difficult to say, in that each body of
water can have a different range. However, for the general purpose of this question, I
would say shallow is 1 to 10 feet, deep is 20 to 60 feet, and anything deeper than that is
ridiculous (although I've fished it - didn't like it, but fished it). If you are wondering
about the 10 to 20 feet area, it is up for grabs - kind of a mid-depth.
Dan
Dan Galusha : Bassin' USA Prostaff : Illinois
ED F.

Deep Water or Shallow?

Post by ED F. »

I prefer to fish a bit deeper, 4 to 8 feet of water just beyond shallow flats. I like to beleive that most bass hold at this depth most of the time. You may not always find bass in a foot or two of water all of the time, but usually you can always find them in 4 to 8 feet. Even when the "shallow bite" is on, there are still plenty of fish to be caught in deeper water. Fish in deeper water become spooked less easily than fish in shallow water. I prefer fishing at this depth also because I find that most bass will strike a bait as it is decending to the bottom, and the deeper water allows the bait to remain in the strike zone for a greater period of time. I also beleive that the "Lunkers" visit the shallows for short intervals, but their real homes are deeper water where they spend most of their time.
mofish

Deep Water or Shallow?

Post by mofish »

I would have to say the 90% of my fishing is done shallow. 1 to 10 foot. The other 10% is in deeper water.(10 on out) I have fished water that is 25 foot before and caught some nice fish but it is now one of my favorite ways to fish.(Carolina rigs) I have yet to catch a fish on a deep diving crankbait in water more than 10ft. Confidence is the main reason I stay shallow. I too feel better when I am pitching and flipping. When you think of 20ft of water being deep just look at the length of most bass boats. Mine is 20ft long it you were to stand it on end under water you realize the 20ft deep isn't all that deep. 7ft rod with a 3ft leader on a Carolina rig and you are half way there. lol. Even at that I still feel better in water that I can see what I am throwing at.
Thanks,
Conley Staley
britchie

Deep Water or Shallow?

Post by britchie »

Larry Nixon stated that bass live 90% of their lives in less than 10 feet of water, this is where I spend most of my fishing time. On any giving body of water there are active fish both deep and shallow. On my home waters, the Ohio River, the catchable fish are in less than 5 feet of water. I guess it boils down to confidence and what your particular strong point is and mine is pithin & flippin.
Brian Ritchie : Bassin' USA Prostaff : Kentucky
JoeMo

Deep Water or Shallow?

Post by JoeMo »

Boy, you fellas really get my heart pumping when you talk about pitching and flippin' in that real shallow water- where the bass then spends as much time in the air as he does in the water until you net him.

Now that doesn't mean I don't like deep water because I certainly do. (But no deeper than 58' on 1/8th oz. Gitzits with 6 lb. test mono) I don't want to get into that again. I've said quite enough on the subject. It's time to hear more from you gents.

Thanks for keeping the thread growing. JoeMo
Good Fishing,
JoeMo - Bassin' USA Message Board Moderator