Spinning Reel Suggestions??

Share your comments, thoughts, criticisms and compliments about the many forms of tackle and equipment on the market today...
George Cawthorn

Post by George Cawthorn »

From most of the time sunny California, Hello to All!!

I am l ooking for some advice on selecting a spinning reel for a new rod.

A friend of mine who is a rodsmith just gave me a custom made rod.

The rod is designed for heavy dropshots and small jigs.

It is 7’ one piece graphite. The blank has a pretty stiff backbone with a fast taper tip. The cork handles are set up in the new dropshot fashion with minimal cork at the ends and the blank exposed naked pretty much through the butt section.

I haven’t fished with it yet but I can tell just by tapping on the blank that it is incredibly sensitive... extremely light for it’s apparent strength. I don’t know the exact numbers and specs for the blank.

Anyway I do have a Quantum PTi 30 spinning reel which I have been very pleased with it’s performance and was thinking of trying it out on this rod.

If it feels good I was thinking of buying another Quantum PTi 30 since I know I am already more than satisfied with the reel on a 6’6” medium hard action rod that I have been fishing Senkos light jigs and Carolina rigs with.

In relatively the same price range as the Quantum which is less than $200, is there any other reel you would suggest I try out that you feel would be superior to the Quantum and work better with the new 7’ rod for heavier dropshots and light jigs?

The thing I like best about the Quantum is the ultra smooth drag system. I have not tried any other high end reels besides the Quantum so far.

Thanks for your suggestions and good fishing to you guys............. geobass
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

Hi Geo,

There are two other reels you should definetely check out:

1) Shimano Stradic MGFA 2500 (Make sure you look at the MGFA, they make another Stradic which is not magnesium)

REEL SPECIFICATIONS

2) Diawi SOL 2500

REEL SPECIFICATIONS

Both are smooth, tuff and well worth the money! (under $200)

BC
Brendan C.
Socal Bassman

Post by Socal Bassman »

Hey Geo,

Long time no hear. There's nothing wrong with Quantums. If there was, do you think Kevin VanDam would be using them? I would have to agree with Brendan's recommendations. You should already know how much I love my Stradic, but IMO Daiwa's spinning reels are far smoother than their Shimano counterparts. Check out Turner's they have the Daiwa Fuego, which is a step up from the Sol, on sale for $189.99.

Tight lines and hope to see you out on the water.
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

Hi Daryl,

Welcome to the site and thanks for the input. I'm sure you knew that I did not mean to say that there is anything wrong with Quantum, Geo was just asking for "alternative reels" and the only two I have tried are the Diawa and Shimano. I think the main thing for Geo to keep in mind is "If it isn't broken... don't fix it!".

He did mention that he was pleased with the Quantum in his post... but like all of us fishermen, we always seem to find excuses to purchase something NEW.

Thanks again for posting...

BC
Brendan C.
Socal Bassman

Post by Socal Bassman »

Brendan,

Thanks for the welcome and sorry if I made it sound like you were saying that there was something wrong with Quantum because that wasn't my intention.
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

I know you didn't mean anything... just making sure everyone else did too!

We have a pretty laid back group of guys and gals here. Looking forward to your input on the boards.

No Sweat...

Hey, so how do you know GeoBass?

BC
Brendan C.
Socal Bassman

Post by Socal Bassman »

I've had the pleasure of fishing with him once. A really nice guy who helped me better understand his home lake on my first trip. I still got the skunk handed to me that day, but the information he shared has proven to be invaluable.

Geobass might not know me by my real name, but to a lot of people around here in SoCal, I'm better known as Socal Bassman.
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

Small world, eh? How has the fishing been for you this year? Do you have any photos of bass you've caught? If so, please feel free to post them in the member's photo gallery: Member's Photo Gallery Link
Brendan C.
George Cawthorn

Post by George Cawthorn »

Thanks for the suggestions Brendan and Daryl!!

I went fishing at Castaic today.... took my Quantum PTi 30 off my other best spinning rod and rigged it up to the new custom rod I got.

Just wanted to see how it feels. Truthfully I really do love that Quantum PTi, I've caught some really memorable fish with that reel. Gives ya confidence when you've been through some tough fish fights and come through unscathed.

But the PTi felt kinda heavy on this rod. I would prefer one that weights a little less. It was casting well, the rod itself felt pretty balanced, not really any problem. It's hard to say, just a feeling of comfort wasn't there with this setup.

Don't get me wrong on this one... that Quantum reel is going right back on my other best rig where she belongs. Up till now she has been the Lincoln in my garage.

I have been using the Quantum for Senkos and larger plastics and small swimbaits. I'm looking for something that will give me that light tough I'm looking for for the dropshots and lighter jigs.

It is impressive that Kevin Van Dam would fish for Quantum though! But the bottom line is I was doing my homework before I bough the Quantum too and it was the advanced engineering and ultra smooth drag that sold me.

I think Brendan sort of hit the nail on the head.... I like to try out new things. I will be investigating the Shimano further.

And also the Daiwa. But after reading the specs Brendan supplied the Shimano sounds like it would be right up my alley for this.
Im gonna take my new rod with me to a couple of the local shops to see how both of them feel in the hand.

I'm still researching it and I appreciate the feed back very much. And lets not forget that there are a lot of top pros fishing all of these brands.......... something tells me Kevin would fish with whatever reel manufacture offered him the best sponsorship contract, I would too!!!

Hey Daryl... I'm sure we have probably run into each other around the shoreline of some of the SoCal lakes or fising events but I didn't recognize your name right off the bat.... Could that possibly be you Bass Whisperer??

I took some pictures of the rod today but I don't have versions small enough to load up here now........ I'll try to get some of those up later.

And thanks for all the help in my search for the perfect reel for my new rod. The rod itself felt incredibly good BTW.

Good fishing to you guys, later.......... geobass

brendanc

Post by brendanc »

By the way Geo. I own 4 Shimano's but to be honest after trying the Diawa Sol... I may have to switch... it is that nice. Hands down the smoothest reel I have ever tried. Just some food for thought...
Brendan C.