Paddle Tail Minnows

Share your comments, thoughts, criticisms and compliments about the many forms of tackle and equipment on the market today...
Roboworm99

Paddle Tail Minnows

Post by Roboworm99 »

Has anyone thrown these style baits? I used to throw the Basstrix till they became scarce (thanks Steve Kennedy) I have thrown the Money Lures version, it's not a tube like Basstrix but it does have the paddle tail. Swims great caught some fish off it...but had to use a heavier weight then i wanted to make it swim. They have some new versions with a thicker profile, which look interesting. I just received from BPS the Luck"E" Strike Bass Magic Minnow. They look great, they are a tube like Basstrix. Come in great colors and great sizes, the 6 1/2" is going to be fun to throw. I haven't thrown mine yet. Right now they are airing out, they stink like paint and bad plastic...going to soak them in some worm oil to see if i can get rid of the stench. Has anybody thrown these yest? I will give you a review once I throw them. Also, I am looking to get some weighted hooks in bulk for these. The kind I prefer are the ones with the pigtail hitchhiker to hold the the bait. So if anybody knows of where i can get them that would be appreciated.
**Ray Charpentier**
Roboworm99

Paddle Tail Minnows

Post by Roboworm99 »

Well here is my review...the Bass Magic swims ok..but you need to retrieve fairly quick to get it moving...I used a 6/0 hook with a 1/4 oz weight...got a follower at a small local park. the color on these baits is outstanding. i also threw the 3 1/2" version. being a tube I noticed it takes a bit for the tail to wag. I had both rigged on the falcon weighted hooks. i prefer the money minnow as i can retrieve the baits much slower.
**Ray Charpentier**
brendanc

Paddle Tail Minnows

Post by brendanc »

Hi Robo,

Just got back from a tackle shop in Connecticut this weekend. They have a bass tank that must be 25 feet long, 6 feet wide and 5 feet high. Oh, and it’s filled with bass up to ten pounds (must be tuff working there). The shop is called Tournament Force Tackle and the owner Mike was able to show us tons of different swimbaits in the tank. All I can say is that I can see why you are upset about the basstrix... although the other imitation baits looked good, none of them had the same action as the basstrix.

I was able to see the Huddleston deluxe 8" trout in action... I have never seen anything look so much like a real fish in my life. That lure is amazing in the water... I wanted to jump in after it myself. I also got to see the Huddleston Shad and they swim as good at the big trout.

They have some good replica baits coming out in their catalog this year. These guys do not sell anything that they don't test and like as tournament anglers. If you look at their selection, you'll see what I am talking about: http://www.tfbass.com

I've never been in a shop where they let you see the lures in action before you buy them...

Thanks for the report!
Brendan C.
Roboworm99

Paddle Tail Minnows

Post by Roboworm99 »

Hey Brendan

I havent had a chance to see the Hudd Shad yet..been waiting for matt Lures version to come out and take a look at both..I heard great things about the the Hudd Shad, and will probably add both to my collection

i get their catalog...great stuff in there.
**Ray Charpentier**
brendanc

Paddle Tail Minnows

Post by brendanc »

Robo,

Take my word for it, you will like the way this thing moves in the water. The 2 pack at $16.00 is not too bad when compared to other swim baits. If you don't like them, I'll buy them from you! (I need some backups anyway)

BC
Brendan C.
Roboworm99

Paddle Tail Minnows

Post by Roboworm99 »

Hey...

It looks like the big boy's are getting into the craze...Berkley has there version coming out in Feb.

Here is a link to the product:
http://www.berkley-fishing.com/prod.php ... 0(1139072)

Here is a link to there demo:

http://www.berkley-fishing.com/product_videos.php
**Ray Charpentier**
brendanc

Paddle Tail Minnows

Post by brendanc »

That's some good stuff... Let the games begin! I like the action of their bait. Looks really good in the water. What's your thoughts on the wobble on the Bass Trix?
Brendan C.
Roboworm99

Paddle Tail Minnows

Post by Roboworm99 »

ya Berkley did their homework on this one...looks like another bait by Basstrix will become obsolete..

Berkleys has a more parallel swimming action..i think the wobble can help attract some strikes..like it does on the Baby E style bait that was the paddle tail along with the wobble.
**Ray Charpentier**
brendanc

Paddle Tail Minnows

Post by brendanc »

I forgot to mention that one of the baits we checked out in the tank was the Luck E Strike you had mentioned. Hands down the best that he had in stock.

The owner said he would have them in stock hopefully in the beginning of February. http://www.tfbass.com
Brendan C.
Roboworm99

Paddle Tail Minnows

Post by Roboworm99 »

You liked the lucky strike over basstrix? what size did they throw in the tank? how did they rig it?

Did they try the money minnow?
**Ray Charpentier**