Rods Reels and Rigging

Just getting started in Bass Fishing? Hey, everyone started at some point. There are no wrong questions here, only the ones you don't ask. This is the place to ask for help on the basics.
sryhdy

Rods Reels and Rigging

Post by sryhdy »

I'm just now getting back into bass fishing from a long hiatus as a young lad fishing small farm ponds in Indiana. . .Had a few questions about rod and reel selection. I have a 7' browning rod with a new bass pro baitcast reel for flipping/pitching, a 5' berkely lighting rod, a new shimano citica reel on a bass pro 6'6 rod & a spinning rig with a 6'6 rod. How should I rig up each? What line type and weight should I go with on each? Is a 6'6 rod a good versatile choice? I like to use worms and topwaters. . .can I rig one for this and the other for crank baits?

In other words, Give me some advice on setting up what I have for ultimate bass catching flexibility!
dansfishntales

Rods Reels and Rigging

Post by dansfishntales »

You have the right idea on the flippin/pitchin with the 7' rod, but it would also be a very good crankin' rig. I would rig the 5'casting with 14 pound line, and use it for spinnerbaits, especially if you are making short casts around brush. The 6'6" casting rod would be a good choice for pitchin', crakin', worms and jigs - to be used for all you would have to select one line that would cover most, but not be the best for each - with that in mind I might try 15 pound, Big Game Flippin/Pitchin line. Your spinning rig is good for finesse tackle like tubes and small worms. I like spooling such a rig with 15 pound test Gorilla Braid - it has a very small diameter, good abrasion resistance, hook setting power, and more strength than the equivalent diameter of monofilament.

Hopefully this will give you a start. I'm sure some of the other guys will be giving you some suggestions as well.

Best of fishing,
Dan
Dan Galusha : Bassin' USA Prostaff : Illinois
brendanc

Rods Reels and Rigging

Post by brendanc »

Hi BigBasser,

Welcome to Bassin' USA.

Dan gave you some good ideas. I would like to add a couple of things as well. As far as line is concerned, before you start purchasing line, you want to check each of your rods to find out the recommended line rating. This info is on the blank usually rig before the handle (butt section) of your rod begins. It will say something like "Line: 6lb - 10lb". A good rule of thumb is to be sure that you stay within those guidelines. You also want to check your reels. For bait casters, you typically do not want to go lighter than 10 lb test. With spinning reels, again check the recommended line sizes and you typically want to use 10 lb test or less on spinning gear. Some larger spinning reels can hold larger pund test line, but I'm going to assume that you have a medium size reel (say a 2000-2500 series).

If you would like to post the specs on each rod and reel, we can help you fine tune things even more.

BC
Brendan C.
sryhdy

Rods Reels and Rigging

Post by sryhdy »

Thanks for the input. I will post specs on each rod and reel when I get a chance this weekend.
sryhdy

Rods Reels and Rigging

Post by sryhdy »

OK here are my specs:

Rods
7'Browning Silaflex 970 Rod (8-20lb test)
6'-6" BPS XPS PGX66MHT Med/Hvy Action (10-20lb test)
5'-6" Berkeley Lighting Rod LR15 Med. Action (10-20lb test)
6'-6" Ugly Stick Lite SP1166-2M Med. Action (6-15lb test)

Reels
BPS Johnny Morris Signature XPS JMP10H (6:3:1/10 bearing)
Shimano Citica 100DSV (4 bearing)
Quantum Hypercast Long Stroke HC2

Can you help me determine how to rig everything? Also, do you think I am adequately equipped with the Citica 100DSV or should I be using the 200? Is the Ugly Stick an adequate rod? I am thinking of buying one more reel for one of the poles (baitcast) but not sure what the best choice might be (trying to stay under $100)

Your help is appreciated!
johnnie crain outdoors

Rods Reels and Rigging

Post by johnnie crain outdoors »

You sound like you're faiurly well set up. Yes, the Ugly Stik is adequate. Bass pro reels are fine too. I rteally like the Rick Clunn Signature reels, you might try one of them. Johnnie
Johnnie Crain
brendanc

Rods Reels and Rigging

Post by brendanc »

Hi BigBasser,

Thanks for providing more details.

It looks like you have a good starting point and some combos which are versatile. The 100 CSV is fine for now. Unless you want to throw some really heavy stuff (2 oz+)

The 7' rod will accommodate all of your heavy fishing requirements (Jigs, worms, flippin' tubes, swimbaits, etc.)
I prefer mono with my flippin' setup. A great line that is not too expenses is Berkely Big Game (Low Vis Green). You can go with 20lb test with the rod/reel combo you have.

Your 6'6" Med/Heavy can be used for tubes, worms, smaller jigs and you can actually get away with 8 pound test on that rod/reel combo. Braid is fine, but again I prefer mono unless braid is a must. Berkley Trilene XT (Low Vis Green) is extremely tuff line, super resistant to abrasion and you can pull a truck with the stuff. The downside to XT is that it tends to have a bit too much memory and the line can be tuff to manage if you do not change it frequently. A good alternative would be the XL version or the new Berkley MAX in 8 lb test.

For the 5'6" Lightning Rod (assuming it is the LRC561MP 1/4 - 3/4 5ft 6in 1 Med Pistol), I would agree with Dan, spinnerbaits and precision casting are what that combo was made for. You can also use it for jerkbaits, top waters baits like a zara spook or a Lucky Craft Sammy. The rod will be very effective when ever you need to work a lure that requires you to have the rod tip pointed down at the water. Ripping jerkbaits and walking the dog are two techniques you may have heard of, if not, we can fill you in, just ask. I would rig this setup with 10lb or 12lb test line. If you go with 10, you'll be safe to throw just about everything under the sun.

As for the Ugly Stick, never been a fan, however, if you own it already, I would limit its use to treble hook baits (crainkbaits, top water, jerkbaits, etc.) They tend to have too much flex and can result in many lost fish because you can't get a good enough hook set. You will minimize the impact of this if you stay with treble hook baits in this rod... they are forgiving.

For under $100, there are many reels available, it seems as though you are shy 1 spinning reel for the rods you have. Are you looking for another spinning reel or another bait caster?

What else can we help you with?

BC
Brendan C.
sryhdy

Rods Reels and Rigging

Post by sryhdy »

Thanks for all the info Brendan! I am versed in many of the techniques, just need to practice.

I am actually shy 1 baitcaster for the lighting rod (yes it is a pistol grip. I am thinking about using another citica or bps johnny morris, or putting the citica on the lightning rod and buying a castaic for the flipping.

As for the ugly stick. . .I bought it as a budget rod, but it still has the tags on it. It is my spinning rod, but maybe I should look at another option? Again, I am trying to get something less than $50. Does anyone make a good 1 piece rod in that price range? Help me set up that and I think I am all set!
sryhdy

Rods Reels and Rigging

Post by sryhdy »

will the citica or johnny morris xps hold 20lb test? Also, Bass Pro has a sale on the Diawa Procaster 6+1. What do you think of this reel to complete my baitcaster options?
brendanc

Rods Reels and Rigging

Post by brendanc »

Either reel can hold 20 lb test. They are both rated to hold the same amount of line (12 lb test: 120 yards). You will not be able to get a lot of 20 lb test on the reel, but for flippin' and pitching, you don't need 100+ yards.

Just be sure to take your time adjusting the brakes, and magnetic controls so you minimize backlashes.

Before you purchase the other reel, I would spend some time playing with the two you have and see if you have a preference for one over the other.

I’ve never used the Castaic, so I can't give you a good opinion on that one.

Brendan
Brendan C.