Tournament Season Begins

Share tactics, tips, strategies and other fishing information...
brendanc

Tournament Season Begins

Post by brendanc »

Well, I'm leaving Friday night to start practice for the first tournaments of the season. I have a lot on my mind so I thought I would just share some of it... you never know what people will find interesting.

It always amazes me how much preparation it takes to get ready for the first one. Today is Thursday and I will be away for 9 days, returning home for 3 days and then heading out again for 5 days. Tackle always seems like the easy part... it's managing the clothing and other apparel that makes it tuff. Right now the weather forecast for Connecticut is mostly sunny and temps are ranging between 60-70 degrees. However, by Monday, the temps are supposed to drop and they are calling for rain. This time of year in the northeast, you have to be prepared with both warm and cold weather clothing. You need both heavy and light rain gear depending on temps and wind conditions.

The first tournament is a 2 day on Thursday/Friday, followed by a 1 day open on Saturday and another on Sunday. This nice part is that all of these tournaments are on the same lake (Candlewood), so I will not have to change hotels or do any moving around during the 9 day stretch.

I have been making a check list over the past week and it is so funny how many things I keep adding to the list as each day goes by. I just hope that I have remembered everything.

When I get back on Monday, I will have two days to get all my laundry done and repack for the next trip (leaving Wednesday). It makes me wonder how the full-time Pros manage all of these little tasks when they are on the road for months on end and also traveling across the country. More and more you hear about these guys upgrading their rigs to be transportable and living in mobile homes with their family. Sounds like the best option for what they do...

I haven't even left yet and I am already thinking about how much I will miss my girls. I'm only going to be gone for 9 days... some of these pros don't see their families for months on end.

It is certainly a great game that we tournament fishermen get to play. I guess it all comes down to how much time you want to dedicate to it. For me, at this point in my life, I am happy with the regional tournaments and even club level tournaments... I don't have to be away from the family for too long and I get to express my competitive side.

These first tournaments always seem to get the most attention and mental preparation. I guess it is because I have all winter to think about them. I don't think that I am ever as mentally prepared as I am for these specific tournaments. I'm not saying that I do not mentally prepare for every tournament I compete in, it's just that these ones seem to command a deeper level of focus and concentration... and there is so much time to prepare. It's no wonder I was complaining about having to pack clothes and apparel... I have been spending all my time getting tackle, tactics and techniques ironed out.

This will be the first tournament that I will have the chance to use the new 997 si and I have extremely high hopes for what this new technology will bring to the table. I would like to say thanks again to those of you who shared their knowledge of this unit with all of the members on the boards… I know it has helped me a great deal in making my choice to purchase one. As I become more proficient with the unit, I will certainly return the favor and contribute whatever I can.

See you on the water...
Brendan
Brendan C.