Now a buzzbait junkie.

Just getting started in Bass Fishing? Hey, everyone started at some point. There are no wrong questions here, only the ones you don't ask. This is the place to ask for help on the basics.
MbBass

Now a buzzbait junkie.

Post by MbBass »

Hey guyz hows everyone been? I havent been fishing along time but i am now a buzzbait junkie. They are so fun now that the water is warm now. They seem to like the 1/4 once white/chart./and a little red the best.

What all situations do you guys use them in? And why do they only seem to work around sunken trees and 5 foot from edges. Is that bout right or will they hit them as it warms even further. Water temp is about 80 here in Myrtle beach, that seems to be about the arverage. It has been god awfull hot here. hard to fish after 11am to about 4 pm.Thanx for the help i know all the ice is gone for you northern fishermen up there. catch a smally for me.
brendanc

Now a buzzbait junkie.

Post by brendanc »

Good to hear from you MbBass... buzzbaits rock! Like every lure they have their time and place. I have caught fish on them in shallow water and in deep water. Some people have commented that really shallow bass (1 foot of water or less) can get spooked by the noise of a buzz bait, but I have had days where I would cast it onto the shore (out of water) and drag it in and bass would crush it almost immediately.

Have you used them night fishing yet? If not, your life is about to change... Get yourself a jet-black buzzbait and bring to any lake that you normally fish during the day and see what happens... You won’t believe what comes up for those things at night.

Good Luck,
BC
Brendan C.
BTwizy

Now a buzzbait junkie.

Post by BTwizy »

I been wanting to do some night bass fishin myself. God I hope its nice this weekend....the rain is killin me!
MbBass

Now a buzzbait junkie.

Post by MbBass »

I have not fished at night yet. I wish we could get some rain here. It has been crazy hot here. Even when i notice the fish breakin hard out deep i cant get any takers. I plan to get few other colors to add. It is easy to fish the buzz reelin it with a 7:1 abu revo st.

Well any tipps on how to use them would be great. Can you fish them like a spinnerbait aswell ? Good fishing to every1
johnnie crain outdoors

Now a buzzbait junkie.

Post by johnnie crain outdoors »

They can be fished like a spinnerbait, but I don't really like to do that, may as well use a real spinnerbait. Try a few different sizes and colors for different situations, it nevcer gets too hot for buzzbaits. Any shaded areas should be fished thoroughly as well. Those fish breaking in open water may not be bass at all. Try casting a Rat-L-Trap into the breaking fish, you'll soon know if it's bass or not. I love buzzbaits on rainy days, or with a breeze-in shade and along rip rap. Any time the waters above 55 degrees. Good luck., Johnnie
Johnnie Crain
brendanc

Now a buzzbait junkie.

Post by brendanc »

One thing to keep in mind is that bass will get really hot for a particular lure for a while and then all of a sudden they don't want to touch it. You may just need to put it down and go to something else. There are not too many lures that you can fish "every day" and be successful... If you like buzzbaits, you should get into froggin'... Some of the plastic frogs can be worked just like a buzzbait, but you can also swim and crawl them under water for some great results...

Check out this review article of the "Sizmic Toad"... it has some nice photos too:

Sizmic Toad Review
Brendan C.
MbBass

Now a buzzbait junkie.

Post by MbBass »

Thats what i thought about submergeing the buzzbait, but i also didnt know if it may create a different noise. Thanx for the reply Mr. Craine. And yeh brendan i have figured out about the fish hot on a bait and then cold on the same bait. But on a good note i have figured out how to use other lures. Thats a good thing. I just never seem to have much luck with crankbaits. And i like crankbaits. Thanx fellaz for the help.
johnnie crain outdoors

Now a buzzbait junkie.

Post by johnnie crain outdoors »

MbBass, crankbaits are generally my go to lure, but keep in mind most times to be effective, the crank should either be digging up the bottom or crashing off objects. These are reflex baits. A free swimming crank isn't all that attractive to most fish. Keep them on or near the bottom or crashing into rocks, stumps, tree limbs boat docks or wahtever cover isd available. P.S. I almost exclusely use Medeium to deep diving cranks, the diving lip helps keep them from snagging. I know that doesn't sound right-but believe a life time cranker, it's the truth. Good luck, Johnnie
Johnnie Crain
MbBass

Now a buzzbait junkie.

Post by MbBass »

So if i got this right get something that will hit and sturr up the bottom floor ? Cause all the rocks and trees i have burried are 5 to 10 foot off the bank and i will get snagged in them. Thanx again for your help i alwayz go out and try it after i get a suggestion.
BTwizy

Now a buzzbait junkie.

Post by BTwizy »

Yeah Im wondering this yoo cuz Ive been basically "free swimming it" This might be what Im missing,and I didnt think much about the lips keepin them snag free...Most of my crank baits are lipless.

I just purchased an x-rap..It says ur suspose to sweep this thing back and forth..but too me...working it just doesnt seem natural.

Oh I also purchased a buzz bait..but its so big and bulky..My confidence with this bait is low. Buzz baits for night fishing mostly?