The spinner bait!

Just getting started in Bass Fishing? Hey, everyone started at some point. There are no wrong questions here, only the ones you don't ask. This is the place to ask for help on the basics.
brendanc

The spinner bait!

Post by brendanc »

How are you able to think with all those voices in your head?
Brendan C.
Roboworm99

The spinner bait!

Post by Roboworm99 »

I picture Frank with Foil on his head under his hat...and his house wrapped in it as well >/smile.gif" alt="smile" title="smile" height="15" width="15" />
**Ray Charpentier**
ukey28

The spinner bait!

Post by ukey28 »

WHo told about the foil?? It works, Neoprene too!
Frank : Bassin' USA Prostaff : New York
Roboworm99

The spinner bait!

Post by Roboworm99 »

Havent tried the neoprene...maybe that's why they can read mine...darn it..thanks...back to the drawing board...
**Ray Charpentier**
ukey28

The spinner bait!

Post by ukey28 »

Nunz!!!! You gave up my spot!!! How could you! Actually thats just the mothership sending down lunch. A tuna fish Sammich on toast!!!
brendanc

The spinner bait!

Post by brendanc »

That bud commercial was great... I remember when it first came out.

Will you two knock it off with the sandwiches... You still haven't tried my Penne Alfredo with grilled chicken, now that's something to talk about.

BC
Brendan C.
Phoenix

The spinner bait!

Post by Phoenix »

This might be a little off topic since you're talking about inlines, but.. when it comes to the standard spinnerbait, has anyone used "lumaflex" skirts?
Can you tell me the pros, and cons? I'm making spinnerbaits, more for myself than others. The whole point is so I can have THE BEST I can get. At times opting for gold or silver over chrome and brass, thinner wire, the right paint job, a good ball bearing swivle, and when it comes to skirts.. I'm sure I will be using both lumaflex and silicone, but I would like the experienced advise of someone that has used them. Any and all skirt advice is solicited here. Thanks in advance! Please forgive me if this is in the wrong place.
If I'm not fishing, you can bet I'm thinking about it!
brendanc

The spinner bait!

Post by brendanc »

Hey Phoenix,

Welcome to the forums... One of our moderators "Ukey28" has been making his own lures and spinnerbaits. He's certainly one of the people you want to check with.

Personally, I've never tried the lumaflex skirts... always been a fan of of traditional silicon skirts. Most spinnerbait aficionados carry different blade sizes, shapes and finishes along with a variety of skirts. Depending on what type of bait fish the bass are chasing will usually determine the size and color. Willows and weeds play nice together, while Colorado, Indiana, Turtle work better in open water. There are so many options with spinnerbaits that the guys I know who are "die hard" spinnerbait fishermen, will fine tune their spinnerbait for the conditions. The average joe, is going to pull one out of the package, tie it on and start casting without doing much to the lure.

I'm sure Ukey28 will hope in once he's sees your post. Anyone else got something to add?
Brendan C.
ukey28

The spinner bait!

Post by ukey28 »

Hi Phoenix,
The skirts are really a matter of personal preference. Some folks like silicone and some like rubber. I like flat wide strands on slow moving spinner baits and oval thinner strands on fast moving baits. Its really a matter of what the fish want on any given day. I haven't used the luma flex as I have well over a couple of thousand flat latex skirts. They work for me as do the typical silicone. The silicone skirts store for longer periods and are good for many days of fishing, latex is not as durable. As for wanting the best on your baits, the best is what's successfulfor YOU, don't lose sight of that. I catch more fish with a roller swivel than I do with a ball bearing. It's noisier and hiccups occasionally so the noise varies a bit. However if I'm fishing a spinnerbait and I want it to fall and the blade to helicopter on the fall then I use a BAll Bearing swivel. Keep experimenting and you will find that certain setups will work for you and they are the ones you'll end up carrying. I live by the rule that new is not always better.
Hope this helps.
Anybody else have a few cents to throw in? Not like nobody throws a spinnerbait, right?!