The spinner bait!

Just getting started in Bass Fishing? Hey, everyone started at some point. There are no wrong questions here, only the ones you don't ask. This is the place to ask for help on the basics.
BTwizy

The spinner bait!

Post by BTwizy »

Yes its me with more questions lol! Last week Im fishing a big ol black n red spinner bait with 2 gold spinners. I have fun doin this and to my great suprise I caught a bass bout 13 inches maybe. So of course Ive been throwin this thing ever since with no success.

I was hopin u guys had some tips for proper spinner bait use. I usually just kinda reel um across the top...dont let um sink much oh and I dont use an extra hook In the back. Now is this cool or should I be bouncin this thing along the bottom maybe? I duno It seems simple enough to me but I alwasy am suprised by the amount of stuff I dont know!

Thanks for the tips guys
BTwizy

The spinner bait!

Post by BTwizy »

Im not missin out anymore!!! Lol thanks Nunz And Im glad I asked I might as well make a thread for every bait I use and then a thread for every bait I dont use lol
BTwizy

The spinner bait!

Post by BTwizy »

Ive got a couple but Im waiting to get my cheapy disposable camera filled up. Oh and I gotta find a way to blow my pics up when I scan them. I knew I was fishin that dumb spinner bait wrong. Ive caught 3 bass so far on spinner baits I love it cuz u never know whats goan be on the other end. I also missed a hog last spring on one. Musta been a female cuz this thing jumped and shook her head a couple times and I watched the spinner bait come flyin out of her mouth.

Good times...
MbBass

The spinner bait!

Post by MbBass »

BT i have found that you can alwayz catch fish with spinnerbaits. Sometimes changeing colors is all you need to do or change the speed of your retreive .

1. Throw it out there and let it fall on a semi slack line , sometimes they hit it on the fall ..

2. Slow roll it on the bottom where you can feel it hit or scrape the bottom floor.

3. Slow roll then pump pump slow rool then pump pump.

4. Throw out there let it sink half way and work the middle collumn of the water for the suspended fish. Pump it a few times when working the middle of water .

5. then start reeling as soon as it hits the water .

Hope this helps cause it has great results for me. Sometimes i even put a ribbon tail on as a trailer to make it bigger . Good luck man
ronlehman909

The spinner bait!

Post by ronlehman909 »

For my older Memps spinners I always carry a small amount of steel wool with me. Prior to using I polish off the hook and spinner to it's original shine. Seems to help. Just a small tip!
Ron Lehman
[email protected]
brendanc

The spinner bait!

Post by brendanc »

Hey Ron,

Thanks for the tips and for bringing up the Mepps spinner... the inline spinner bait can be deadline for big bass when the water gets cold (and under other certain conditions). Last fall I had several days where the inline produce when nothing else would. In fact one of those days, it produced 2 largemouth over 5lbs and 1 over 6 lbs. I was working it the same way you would work a standard spinnerbait around brush, but I was a little more careful so that I did not hang up too bad.

If anyone does not know what we are talking about, here are some photos of inline spinnerbaits:

Brendan C.
BTwizy

The spinner bait!

Post by BTwizy »

I love throwing those Mephs but It seams they never spin right for me. Nothing frustrates me more than taking a brand new Meph spinner out of the box and get no action out of the spinner itself. One thing I do like about using them is Ive caught everything from catfish to Saughi to crappi on um.

But like I said they just dont seam to work real well for me
Roboworm99

The spinner bait!

Post by Roboworm99 »

maybe your having problems because you guys aren't throwing Mepps? Never heard of Mephs or Memps....are they knockoffs?

Just kidding guys....
**Ray Charpentier**
ukey28

The spinner bait!

Post by ukey28 »

I saw that too, but I was too busy bustin on Bassboy on the solunar table thread.LOL This time of year I like that panther martin. You can slloooow rroooll that bad boy, like no other.
Frank : Bassin' USA Prostaff : New York
Roboworm99

The spinner bait!

Post by Roboworm99 »

I only use those spinners for trout
**Ray Charpentier**