Question for the beginers and advanced anglers...

Just getting started in Bass Fishing? Hey, everyone started at some point. There are no wrong questions here, only the ones you don't ask. This is the place to ask for help on the basics.
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

Just thought I'd open a topic that would give everyone a chance to share a little about themselves. So here's the big question: "How did you get started bass fishing?"

For me personally, I started fishing saltwater when I was a kid. My dad used to take me out on his boat and taught me all about fishing in saltwater. When dad was busy at work and I wanted to go, I would go down to the docks at the harbor by my house and fish for whatever I could get to bite. I was "hooked" from the first time he took me out. I guess around the time I was in my early teens, my sister's boyfriend asked me if I had ever tried fishing in fresh water for bass. I had not, so he took me to a local pond and we gave it a try. I did not catch a bass, but I did get a big pickerel. A few weeks later, we took a family trip to PA and rented a summer house with a lake close by. My sister's boyfriend was with us on this vacation and he took me out fishing on the lake for bass. This time I caught one (about 3 lbs) using a little frog crankbait. The water was crystal clear and I saw the whole thing happen. When that largemouth opened his mouth and engulfed that tiny frog, it was all over. I never thought I'd like anything as much as I liked saltwater fishing... but there's just something about freshwater bass fishing that takes the cake!

Looking forwared to reading some stories from some other members...

Good Fishing!
Brendan
Brendan C.
MbBass

Post by MbBass »

For me up untill last november i had fished here and there for catfish, bluegill and did some salt water fishing but just a few times i didnt have my own fishing gear . But last november i went down to a public park with a 10 acre lake here in Myrtle Beach . I was useing a zebco 33 with a fish eagle 2 rod with pumpkin seed with chart. tail .I caught a 4 pounder and that started my bass fishing quest .

Went back and couldnt catch a cold if i tried . So i knew there was something i was missing , so i started reading . I went to bass resource and read and read . I read about habits what they do during each season . wanted to know about spawning habits pre and post spawn . Went out and got me a baitcaster a garcia revo and a tackle box and went with salt impregnated plastics . And now my personal best LMB is 9.2 pounds . Since last november i have caught 300 + LMB I know this cause i have been stockin a few ponds with 3 to 5 bass per pond or lake to get a good line of bass .Alwayz with permission. Now i help and try to teach the kids where i live and give them something else to do besides play Games on tv . well thats my story and i'm stickin to it .
BTwizy

Post by BTwizy »

oops
BTwizy

Post by BTwizy »

Well my dad loves to fish and I was always there by his side. I remember one time in BoyScouts everyone was fishin this sweet pond but noone was catchin anything. My dad and me tied on the purple worms and went to work. The first Bass he hooked actually broke his line, then he caught a second one right after. I also hooked into one and we put um both on stringers. Turns out we were the only two in the camp to catch anything and EVERYBODY was coming over too look at our fish. Very awesome and I've always wanted to go back to that pond.

Seems like I got a lil lost in my teens but Im back out there fishin with my son now and enjoying life. Today is my B-day and I got an Abu Garcia revo black max with matching poll. Not the expensive one that I wanted but I love it. I belive MbBass recomended the Garcia and I wanted to say that thx for all the great info I get from u guys.
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

Good stories from both of you guys... Happy B-Day BT. I often think about places that I have fished and want to go back to. Most of the time it's the little back-woods ponds that seemed like I was the only person who knew about it.
Brendan C.
johnnie crain outdoors

Post by johnnie crain outdoors »

I stared fishing with my Grandpa in the clear water streams of the Ozark Mountains. We caught a lot of bass and Goggleye mostly on River Runts, Jitterbugs or live minnows. These steams were so clear we drank from them and I would swim down next to rocks and observe bass and sunfish feeding. I learned a lot from those swims. Also learned not to reach into any dark holes, lots of cottonmouth snakes in those steams. Johnnie
Johnnie Crain
MbBass

Post by MbBass »

That sounds like a awsome place Mr. Craine . There are some crystal clear ponds around me and i will just watch sometimes to see what i can learn as well . Man its so hot here . Oh well stay safe every1
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

Originally Posted By: NunzWell I am going bassin tonight and going to use my new G. Loomis 7'11" swimbait rod with the presidential baitcaster on it.

Let you all know how I did tomorrow.

Nunz

Well, how did you do with the new rod?
Brendan C.
SomethingSmells

Post by SomethingSmells »

Ok I started around 13. I always lived near the Piconic River. So I got the Pocket Fisherman for X-mas and when spring hit I went to the river. I casted and caught a sunfish on a worm and bobber. Then as I got a job I bought more fishing tackle and a Caldor combo and some crankbaits and a frog( this is important later) Started catch bass then one day I used the frog on some lilly pads and as i'm jerking it a [censored] duck picked it up.I didn't think it would do that. So I had to reel it in cover it with my shirt and get the frog out of it's mouth. I couldn't get so I had to call animal control. And they picked it up. Luckly it couldn't swallow it. Ok on with the rest of my life. A friend when I was 18 or 19 took me out bunker chunking off Ponquogue Bridge. We did catch anything and the first cast I did I hit the street sign 10' to my left. Little did I know that would be the last thing to hit my hook. I have such bad luck salt water fishing that my friends won't even take me with them. Then when we where 22 we went to Pulaski river for Salmon fishing didn't catch anything but still a great trip. And now just got back into freshwater again. And I gotta say the Piconic is looking pretty sad lately over by my house alot of growth. So anyway that's pretty much it. Rock on and thanks
James Carroll "Live,Love,Laugh and fish"
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

Funny story SS... I've hit a few signs myself over the years! Which part of the peconic river to you fish (upper/forge pond, middle or lower)? On a side note, one of the guys in my club (L.I.B.) caught a 7 lbs 9 oz Largemouth out of Forge Pond a couple of weeks ago. This past weekend there was a "big bass derby" held out of PLECO on Forge Pond and the person that won caught a 7 lb 6 oz LMB that had a culling ring hole in the bottom of its mouth. Everyone is thinking this is the same fish caught for a second time. That place has given up a lot of 5's and 6's, but that is the biggest officially record bass in a long time for that place.

I fish the peconic a lot... we've probably seen each other on the water before... anyways, thanks for posting.

Brendan
Brendan C.