bait casting setup

Just getting started in Bass Fishing? Hey, everyone started at some point. There are no wrong questions here, only the ones you don't ask. This is the place to ask for help on the basics.
LIfisherman776

bait casting setup

Post by LIfisherman776 »

hi guys.i'm kinda new at this so please bare with me.
i've been watching some fishing shows on tv and noticed that alot of them are always using low profile bait casters and i was just wondering why that is.
the reason i ask is because i was looking into picking up a bait casting rig.i don't want to spend a million dollars but i will spend the money for a good quality rig.i,m no pro but i don't want to buy junk or the wrong stuff so i figured i'd ask.i currently have a spinner rig and am looking to try different setups for fishing freshwater.i went bass fishing with my brother one day and got hooked.thanks

ps i just relized i should have probly put this in the beginers board. sorry.
MbBass

bait casting setup

Post by MbBass »

Welcome to the board . Sounds like me when a friend talked me into fishing a little over a year ago . Tried it and caught a few big ones and got hooked . Baitcasters in my opinion are great tools . And you can fish anything with them . Go ahead and spend more for the reel . I have found that the better reels hold up better and you can throw wieghtless rigs alot easier .

The baitcasters are alot more accurate when trying to cast to a small target . Like brush piles , a small point , etc . And try and use a 6'6" to a 7' rod . I tried to buy cheap with my first reel and the reel gave out on me . I now fish Abu Garcia Revo sx and the reel has been great . And i can cast it at far as a spin reel .

I am sure other people on the board will chime in later on and besides i am no pro . I just love Bass fishing . I got pretty good at it by doing alot of reading about LMB on Bassressource . You can look up info by the season so you can learn how to find them alittle faster than your friends . Good luck to ya
brendanc

bait casting setup

Post by brendanc »

Hi LIfisherman776,

I think most folks will tell you the same thing... no matter what you choose, you don't want to go too cheap when selecting a baitcaster. However, you can only spend what you can afford to spend. Did you have a budget in mind?

Here's a couple of reels that might check out. They range in price, it just so happens that the more expensive reels have more features and seem to work better and last longer.

Team Daiwa - Tierra
Comes in both left and right hand retrieve:

Team Daiwa - Tierra

Sells for around $129

-------------------------------------

Team Daiwa - TD-Pro
Comes in both left and right hand retrieve, and is available in either a 6.3:1 or 7.1:1 gear ratio (7.1:1 is consider a high speed or burner reel):

Team Daiwa - TD-Pro

This one is on sale for $99 at Bass Pro Shops... I think I might need to pick up a couple of these for myself...

Never been a fan of round reels except in salt water... they are more of a "work horse" type of reel. I just happen to find the low profile reels more comfortable to fish with and I get better leverage because I can get my hand around the whole reel.

I'm sure Frank L. will have some positive things to say about round reels, but that is because he is more comfortable fishing with them.

BC
Brendan C.
LIfisherman776

bait casting setup

Post by LIfisherman776 »

thanks for moving the tread to the right place.
i figured i spend about $100 to $150 on the reel and the same on a good pole.i've been looking at the daiwa and abu garcia reels. if anyone has any advice on a rod also then please let me now.
brendanc

bait casting setup

Post by brendanc »

Hi LI,

The rod comes down to what type of lures do you plan on fishing the most?

When you see tournament guys with 10 baitcasting rods and 5 spinning rods layed out on the deck of their boat, there is a reason. Think of it like golf... you wouldn't want to Tee Off using your putter, or put using your driver. You most likely wouldn't use a 1 iron to hit your ball if it is burried in a sand trap... you'd go in your bag and pick up your "sand wedge" so you have the proper tool for the job.

Fishing rods (and reels) are the same. A cranking rod is usually very different from a flipping stick. Treble hook lures generally call for more flex so that the hooks don't tear out of the fish as easily. Because you are using treble hooks, you don't need to set the hook so hard... you really just lean into the fish and the hooks penetrate. On the contrary, if you like fishing single hook lures like texas rigged worms and jigs, you need more back bone in the rod (less flex) so that you can drive the hook point in. When you stop and think about all of the different lures that are on the market, you can see where you might end up with several rods someday.

For now, you probably want to find a nice "middle of the road" rod. I agree with getting something that is 6' 6", or 7'. St. Croix makes some really great rods for the money. Their premier series is affordable and the models that they have can be used for crossing over between different lures and presentations.

I would recommend you checking out these two rods and see if you like one better than the other. I actually own several of each of these and have recommended them to many of the guys I know and they have been very pleased with them:

This rod is a 6' 6", Premier Series baitcaster with a Medium-Heavy power, Fast Action. It is a little on the stiff side, but how you compensate is by losening your drag (if needed for different lures) and not putting as much pressure on the fish.

Model #: PC66MHF
Retail Price: $110

This rod is a 7', Premier Series baitcaster with a Medium-Heavy power, Fast Action also, however the tip on this rod has a bit more flex than the one above. It will give you better casting distance, but a little less hook setting power.

Model #: PC70MHF
Retail Price: $120

Visit the St. Croix Website for more details:

St. Croix Website - Premier Series Page (Casting Rods)

These rods have come up in price a bit since I bought mine, but they compare very well to other rods in that price range. They also hold up very well over time. Some of mine are 10 years old or more...
Brendan C.
LIfisherman776

bait casting setup

Post by LIfisherman776 »

thanks for the help.i see that they have different gear ratios. what gear ratio do you reccomand?
brendanc

bait casting setup

Post by brendanc »

Here's my feelings on the subject... I think it is easier to slow down a fast reel, than it is to try and speed up a slow reel. If you are only going to get 1, the 6:3:1 is plenty fast... I wouldn't get the burner if I were you.

BC
Brendan C.
LIfisherman776

bait casting setup

Post by LIfisherman776 »

thanks for all the help.is it spring yet.
brendanc

bait casting setup

Post by brendanc »

lol... uhhhhh, nope, not yet!
Brendan C.