Lake Maps

Just getting started in Bass Fishing? Hey, everyone started at some point. There are no wrong questions here, only the ones you don't ask. This is the place to ask for help on the basics.
SomethingSmells

Lake Maps

Post by SomethingSmells »

Where's the best place to get them? And does anyone from Long Island have one for Forge. Just for a laugh(I think I know the answer but what the hay) Do the Maps really help?
James Carroll "Live,Love,Laugh and fish"
LIfisherman776

Lake Maps

Post by LIfisherman776 »

ukey28

Lake Maps

Post by ukey28 »

Sorry, nothing for the peconic river system but here's a bunch of others in Suffolk County.
http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/24313.html
Maps help in that they tell you where drop offs and other natural structures are. They help you find them faster and give you an idea about the shape.

Frank : Bassin' USA Prostaff : New York
brendanc

Lake Maps

Post by brendanc »

I've never had a map of forge, but have fished it so many times that I could tell you almost anything you might want to know about that section of the Peconic River. I do have a hand drawn map that shows the general contour breaks, it is enough to show you where breaks and points can be found. There are a few areas that have bottom composition changes that can also be key, but you won't find them without land marks. Muscle beds are another big bass attracter on Forge. There are several locations in forge where the bottom is covered with Muscles Shells, at certain times of year, these areas will attract concentrations of bass. Forge would be a great place for you and I to go out on fun fishing this spring.

BC
Brendan C.
ukey28

Lake Maps

Post by ukey28 »

i was thinking abouot that when I posted yesterday. There's the old Freshwater Anglers map floating around. We could update that for Jim. I don't know if I still have a copy of it. But I'm sure we can get one.
ukey28

Lake Maps

Post by ukey28 »

Where did you find that map , Nunz? Thats from the 30's. it shows River Road as a dirt road and Rte. 24 isn't there!
SomethingSmells

Lake Maps

Post by SomethingSmells »

I didn't think there was one for it. I was watching a fishing show and the angler took one out. That looked so detailed and since I live so close to Forge and it has easy access. I'll fish it the most. Ya Brendan Forge would be fun it's a big area I know I can learn alot . And I have to thank you for turning me on to the book "Lunker" I think every beginner should read it.
James Carroll "Live,Love,Laugh and fish"
brendanc

Lake Maps

Post by brendanc »

Originally Posted By: SomethingSmellsAnd I have to thank you for turning me on to the book "Lunker" I think every beginner should read it.

Hey SS, I'm glad you are finding the book "Lunker" a good read. I think that everyone can learns a lot from that book, including the seasoned angler.
Brendan C.
allen howard

Lake Maps

Post by allen howard »

found a site the other day MYTOPO.com I've had problems finding maps myself but this site looked good.