BUY AMERICAN - SUPPORT OUR COUNTRY!

This is the place for off-topic posts. Have something besides fishing on your mind? Post it here. WARNING THIS AREA CONTAINS CONTENT THAT MAY NOT BE SUITABLE FOR CHILDREN!!!
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

As many of you know from watching and reading current/past news, the future for Americans is looking a bit grim to say the least. Our national debt is over $10 Trillion Dollars and growing. It has been stated that the interest that "we the people" paid on this debt in 2008 alone was $412 Billion (this figure does not remove citizen's that own government bonds, savings bonds, etc. and actually collect money from the National Debt). Still the numbers are ever growing and increasing each and every year. I will keep my opinions to myself regarding this matter, however there is another matter at hand:

When you think about it, there is something very simple that we can all do to help our country... to help ourselves. We can buy American goods and services. When people stop buying American products from American companies, guess what happens... these companies have to cut expenses to survive. That means cutting benefits and jobs too. One way that we can try to prevent this from happening is by purchasing American goods and services. Here is an article that we all should read:
MSN Article - How you can still buy American

Here is a link to a great website that will let everyone know what you can buy that is made in the USA:

Still Made in the USA Website

If you are going to be purchasing something, stop and think... is this helping our country or another country? If you can find an American item that will fill your needs, buy that item instead of the imported item. Each time you do, remind yourself that you are trying to make a difference... You'll feel better because you'll know that you are making an effort and supporting your fellow Americans. If we encourage our friends and family to do the same, we can make a difference. Spread the word around... "BUY AMERICAN".

Want to do more? Let's try and do two things:

1) THINK
2) ACT

1) THINK: Instead of panicking, let's all think about how we can help the situation get better. What can we do? One good idea can change the world!

2) ACT: If we all keep our ideas to ourselves and never share them with others or act upon them, our ideas serve no purpose but thoughts in our minds. If you take action, good things can happen.

I invite everyone with an idea to share it with our community. Let's make some noise!

>/smile.gif" alt="smile" title="smile" height="15" width="15" />

Brendan C.
wgbassgirl

Post by wgbassgirl »

Great post Brendan.

I think many people do not consciously think about where the products they buy come from, so bringing this to people's attention is a great way to start. I know for myself, I seldomly think about where the products I purchase come from (other than food and produce, just think that it is good I am spending to help the economy, but now I will be more aware so I am helping the US economy.

I will put my thinking cap on (no jokes ;)) and I can be pretty loud as some already know >/laugh.gif" alt="laugh" title="laugh" height="15" width="15" />

Thanks for the information.

Wendy
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

Just to add something to my post, I'm not saying to "only buy American", there are some things we just don't make here... but if everyone in the USA bought even 1 more American product in a year:

According the U.S. Census Bureau , the current population is 305,886,329 and of that approximately 80% are Adults over the age of 18, so that's about 244,709,063 Adults. That's 244.7 Million new product sales in America ranging in values from a few dollars to something like the price of an American made car (example: National Average Spent on New Car $28,400)

How many items do you think the average American purchases in 1 year? See where I am going with this...

Now, think what would happen if our Government would provide some tax incentives for people that purchase American products.

They could also provide some tax incentives for larger ticket items (like cars)... and instead of just giving Banks money, require them to provide loans for American purchases with the money they have been given (instead of just throwing it away like they are doing right now). It might just help stimulate our economy. It encourages the flow of money through all parties evolved. If companies start doing better and selling more, they will need to hire more people... and those people will earn money that the Government can collect more income tax on.

I'm just thinking out loud here...

BC
Brendan C.
Roboworm99

Post by Roboworm99 »

Not only that...I for one..don't mind paying a little for a product made here because it's going to last longer than an overseas product...

Where this gets difficult is in the tackle industry...American Companies are having American Made, but they are having it manufactured overseas...
**Ray Charpentier**
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

I hear you Ray... That website above would be cool if we made one for fishing specifically... >/cool.gif" alt="cool" title="cool" height="15" width="15" />
Brendan C.
Roboworm99

Post by Roboworm99 »

Your next venture >/smile.gif" alt="smile" title="smile" height="15" width="15" />
**Ray Charpentier**
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

Sure why not... we'll just add it to the BUY N' SELL section. Perhaps we can start a thread and invite people to inform us of companies that they know of who manufacture their products in the U.S.A.
Brendan C.
George Cawthorn

Post by George Cawthorn »

Start a boycott on Wall-Mart to start selling American!!

Tariff on imported products..... problem is we need the foreign money to buy the T-Bills.

Also besides buying American how about hiring American as well. Stop out sourcing American jobs overseas!

I like to buy American when I can, especially cars. It can be difficult to find a decent pair of shoes or mens shirt made in the U.S. that is affordable.

Fishing gear is tough though because so much of the good stuff comes from Japan, I think we all have to admit that for now.

What really bugs me in SoCal is all the imported produce from Mexico when we have all of the same things grown her in the Sacramento Valley. Seriously, who needs lettuce and green beans from Mexico, or grapes from Chile when you live in California?
johnnie crain outdoors

Post by johnnie crain outdoors »

Most Berkley products especailly Gulp! and Gulp Alive are made right here in Iowa. Several more products too. Go Berkley!
Johnnie Crain
in the outdoors

Post by in the outdoors »

Hey anglers
There is a reel company that is 100% MADE IN THE USA. There name is Ardent and they are made in Macon Missouri. I have been to the factory and watched them make the reels. All of the reel is 100% USA. I did a interview with Mike Brooks the president and ceo of the company for my outdoor show. So the next time you think about buying a reel give a AMERICAN REEL COMPANY A TRY ARDENT. I have several and in my opinon there better than all other reels. Also this AMERICAN MADE REEL COMES WITH A 3 YEAR WARRANTY. I dont find any other reel company giving that. GO ARDENT!