Color selection and seasons

Our community is all about helping out our fellow anglers. Post general bass fishing topics here
David Lengyel

Post by David Lengyel »

Here is a question that I would like to run by the pro-staff and see what they think.

Everyone who has ever fished with me knows that I use some pretty extreme colors. I also vary my colors from spring to winter, and from warn to cold front. I find myself usually putting away some colors when the different seasons role around or putting the Krylon touch on them. Do you guys think that colors do make a differnce during certain times a year?

Lunker Dave :rolleyes:
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

All I know is that you didn't show up for the Wednesday night chat session. I will inform the ProStaff to cut you off and not answer any of your questions... EVER!!!

*Just Kidding*

Dave, I personally try not to get to hung up on color. If you stick with the basic "Match the Hatch" theory, you almost never lose...

Fish Hard
BC
Brendan C.
JoeM

Post by JoeM »

LD- I'll bet a Clouser Minnow is a killer right now. You try the long rod this time of year?
Don't forget the Editor who published your articles in the 90's.
Bass Wishes, JoeM
Good Fishing,
JoeM - Former Message Board Moderator
David Lengyel

Post by David Lengyel »

Joe Mo:

I could never forget my friend who in the middle of a LIB meeting turned around and said that I was your patner for White Pond when you found out I was a non boater. Then it got changed to Forge due to a fishkill.

I very rarely use a flyrod this time of year. I prefer my heavy baitcasting gear because now is when I usually catch my biggest fish, and I want to be prepared. Also in the late Fall, early Winter time I like to cover water fast to find the active fish that turn on during the day before I hunker down for the mid winter Slow up. That is when the gloves come off and the flyrod comes out!!!!

Still you are definitely right on the main part. A clouser minnow is the main way to go, but dont forget a Leftys Decevier, Fur Leech, and my personal favorite my own Crafty Sunfish or Crappie.

Also its funny you should mention that because I am actually going to break it out and use it this weekend when I go fishing. So Ill post how it went.
Lunker Dave
JoeM

Post by JoeM »

Great, Dave. Yes, be sure to let us know how you make out. And bring along what you said was the Fly Fisherman's Jig (The Clouser Minnow) I'd love to watch that take place, but I will be about 100 miles north west of you.
Good talking with you. Keep up your knowledgable posts. Good Fishing, JoeM
Good Fishing,
David Lengyel

Post by David Lengyel »

Joe:

Unfortunately the only fish the fly rod could catch were Perch. I was catching 4" perch on a 3" Clouser. Also what I had originally experienced came true. DONT FISH A FLY THAT TOOK TIME TO MAKE IN A LAKE WHERE PICKERAL ARE PRESENT IN NUMBERS!!!! I go through many flies that way.

Still I managed to get a 5.2 on a Rat-L-Trap. I would not have got that fish in if I did not replace the two steel trebles with the new Vandium models. Because he was barely hooked.
JoeM

Post by JoeM »

LD- First off, good catch! Sounds like you might have been over near the old Grumman property. Those Traps work all over and almost any time of year. And you can catch just about any gamefish on them. BTW, was he caught with baitcasting tackle?

Secondly, although as you know I am not a fly fisherman, I can appreciate the problem in pickerel waters. I use hair jigs usually from mid-October until I stop because the cast slides. lol

I have lost many an excellent PatMcN hairjig due to these toothy critters since I moved to CT. Just yesterday one of these waterwolves managed to give me back the jig. When I released him and looked at the hairjig, the rabbit fur trailer piece was gone. I still caught Crappie on the lure, but the bass didn't seem interested in it anymore.

Bass Wishes, JoeM
Good Fishing,
David Lengyel

Post by David Lengyel »

Yep that fish was caught on my medium heavy baitcasting gear with 14lb. test line. Whenever I go trophy hunting I always go prepared.
JoeM

Post by JoeM »

Dave- It was pretty obvious, but it is good to share your "weapon choices" with your fellow board members.
Thanks again. JoeM
Good Fishing,