Castaic Lagoon 11/29 - Fishing with Butch!

Read reports, exchange information and current conditions for the lakes, ponds & rivers in your area...
Roboworm99

Post by Roboworm99 »

That's awesome...It is nice to see a great guy like Butch with that much knowledge sharing it with the younger anglers...

It's always great to give back to the younger anglers and teach them the right ways...catch and release, etc....

I still am in contact with my mentor after 30 years
**Ray Charpentier**
Fire Ball

Post by Fire Ball »

Originally Posted By: Cam CorreaOriginally Posted By: Fire BallOriginally Posted By: Cam CorreaYou guys must of had blast that day!
I was the guy that walked up & took some pictures with my phone.
I've never had a catch like that in my life.

I started watching the YouTube videos on butch & it seems he knows what he doing.
I'd love to one day get a chance to learn from a guy like him..

I just got back into fishing after about a 25 year break from it..
& I'm loving it... >/smile.gif" alt="smile" title="smile" height="15" width="15" />
Oh! You are that guy! Cool. It was really awesome. We had even more than the ones in the pictures that we released without putting in the livewell too! Did you catch anything that day? Shore fishing was really tough on Sunday.

Also, did you think we were going to keep all those bass? Haha. I release all of the largemouth that I catch.

Naw... I didn't even get any nibbles... >/frown.gif" alt="frown" title="frown" height="15" width="15" />
& actually I didn't give any thought to you keeping them or not.
But, I figured you'd be eating some for dinner.
I remember thinking if you release them there I might have a chance to catch one myself.
If in was still in a biting mood after being handled by humans.. LOL!
They were release out where they were caught after the pictures. What were you using? I might be able to help you out with shore fishing.
Blanco

Post by Blanco »

Originally Posted By: swimbait101yeah hes cool

hey geo look on FNN and look at this report on page 5
look at the comment by greenstinkyfeet
WTF is he talking about

Got a link?
George Cawthorn

Post by George Cawthorn »

It's about some junky comment that Butch Brown was giving some guys heat for crowding him at the Lagoon. He'd tell people in other boats to back off if they got within 100 ft. of him supposedly.

Not surprising too if you've ever had the chance to watch him cast one of those Huds out there. Plus it must be a real pain to have people hound doggin' ya all the time and marking off the spots you stop at and fish the most.

There is a price to be paid for being famous. Even if it is a relatively small one in his case. We all know what Butch is after and there are others who would like to cash in on it first by not putting in the time he does doing the work themselves.

Frankly, I won't be surprised at all to hear the news when he catches the next legit world record LMB at the Lagoon.
swimbait101

Post by swimbait101 »

yeah he worked alot

hey guys, butch verified that the lake limit is 5 bass over 12 inches. he called the dfg
George Cawthorn

the source for CA fishing regulations

upper and lower Castaic are considered one body of water as far as the rules go by the California DFG

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/regulations/

See page 16

INDIVIDUAL BODIES OF WATER WITH SPECIAL BLACK BASS REGULATIONS
Area or Body of Water
Open Season
Size (total length
Bag
Limit
(8) Barrett Lake (San Diego County). (Also see Section 2.08)
All year.
No black bass shall be possessed.
(9) Big Lake (Shasta County) (see also Section 7.00(b)(4).
Last Saturday in April through Nov. 15.
12-inch minimum
Nov. 16 through last Friday in April.
No black bass shall be possessed.
(10) Casitas Lake (Ventura County).
All year.
12-inch minimum. No more than one over 22 inches.
(11) Castaic Lake (Los Angeles County).
All year.
18-inch minimum.
(12) Cuyamaca Lake (San Diego County).
All year.
No size limit. No smallmouth bass shall be possessed.
(13) Diamond Valley Lake, (Riverside County)
All year.
Largemouth bass 15-inch minimum. No smallmouth bass shall be possessed
(14) Eastman Lake (Madera and Mariposa Cos.) (Note: See Section 7.50(b)(62) for special area closures).
All year.
22-inch minimum.

The Trophy Black Bass program was adopted by the Fish and Game Commission in February 1993 under the Black Bass Conservation and Management Act of 1980.
The purpose of the Program is to provide a reasonable opportunity for an angler to catch a trophy-sized black bass at designated waters. As part of the Trophy Black Bass program, the Department of Fish and Game maintains records of anglers who catch a trophy size bass and submit a recognition application form to the Department.
Verified catches are entered into Department databases and provide information on trophy fish catches to managers. Anglers will receive a frameable certificate documenting their catch and if the fish is released back to the water, an attractive California Trophy Black Bass Program Catch and Release hat/lapel pin.
Trophy Bass
In the Trophy Black Bass Program policy, trophy-sized black bass are recognized by the following minimum weight standards:
largemouth bass (Micropterus salmoides) 10 lb.
smallmouth bass (Micropterus dolomieu) 6 lb.
spotted bass (Micropterus punctulatus) 6 lb.

More information is located on the DFG web site at
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/fish/Fishing/Reco ... /index.asp#

swimbait101

Post by swimbait101 »

you know butch, he has talked to you.
he called the office and they both had different regulations
George Cawthorn

I believe you swimbait101, you can do whatever you like. I'm not the fishing police.

But in the past I have had several conversations with the fishing police (DFG) at Castaic and they have told me that the rules are the same for both lakes because they are considered one body of water. Also, the Castaic Lake Recreation Area has one admission for both areas and the rules are the same.

You can't go up to the upper lake and keep two and then go down to the Lagoon and keep two on the same day.

The only rules about the Lagoon that is different as far as I know are the fact that swimming is allowed in some areas and also gas and diesel powered boat are only allowed restricted basis for special events and Cal State ski team practice. Also, camping is only allowed in some parts of the Lower Area and the Lagoon is open to fishing at night.

As far as I know the limit is 2 18" or larger. It has been that way for some time now. I would advise not to get caught with five on a stringer by the DFG. They will not be calling Butch Brown to find out what the regulations are.

http://www.castaiclake.com/rules_and_regs.html

Fishing
All California Fish and Game regulations are strictly enforced.
swimbait101

Post by swimbait101 »

butch has talked the leitenant of the department in long beach
marty wall
BUTCH BROWN

Post by BUTCH BROWN »

Hi Geobass,
I am sorry to inform you that you are mistaken on the legal limit at Castaic Lagoon. The Castaic Lake and Lagoon are two different bodies of water. The Lagoon limit is 5 bass 12" minimum. Would somebody please call Fish and Game in Long Beach to varify what I am trying to tell you? I have called. Please ask the bass limits between the two lakes. You will find I am right. The number is (909)484-0167. Would somebody on the East or West coast please call and post your fininds.

Thank You,
Butch Brown