Castaic Lake 12/30 - First Striper!

Read reports, exchange information and current conditions for the lakes, ponds & rivers in your area...
Fire Ball

Post by Fire Ball »

I decided to head out to Castaic today with my dad, my grandpa, and Robo Bass. When we arrived, the weather wasn't looking good. After a little while of being there, it started to rain a little. It continued to rain for most of the day, on and off. We started out at the West Ramp with swimbaits, but we were only there for about 30 minutes. After that, we went down to the buoy line. We didn't catch anything for hours, while watching people in a different boat catch striper after striper! We moved around near the buoy line and eventually found the sweet spot. Robo Bass was the first to catch a striper and it was a nice 2 lb schoolie. A little while later, Robo Bass caught another striper on his 2nd rod, which was an ultralight!! It was pretty crazy watching him fight a 2 lb striper on the ultralight. After a little while, we had figured some of the secrets to catching striper and by then it was pretty late and we weren't going to stay much longer. After a while more and no fish, I accidentally snagged a little fry! It was pretty funny and I thought that was going to be my only fish to beat the skunk. A little while later, we see Robo Bass's rod go bendo and he sets the hook and reels it to the surface, but there was no fish on it! It was tangled with my dad's line. Robo Bass got the line untangled and then realized that there was a fish on my dad's line that made the lines get tangled! It ended up being a 6 lb striper!! It was my dad's first freshwater fish in years. A couple more hours pass by and I didn't have a decent fish yet. My dad wanted to leave soon since he got a nice fish and it was cold and rainy. A little while before we left, Robo Bass sees my rod go bendo and tells me (it was in a rod holder) and I reel it up and it was a nice 2 lb striper! I was so happy that I had finally caught my very first striper! The fish put up a pretty nice fight. As we are getting ready to leave, Robo Bass's ultralight starts freaking out in the rod holder and then all of a sudden it goes bendo! He was reeling it up and it was going under the buoy line. We were afraid he was going to loose it with such light line and since it was making a nice run underneath the buoy line and pulling on a buoy with the line, which could not be good with his light line. It ended up being a nice 2 lber. At the end of the day, I ended up with one 2 lber, Robo Bass ended with three 2 lbers, and my dad ended with one 6 lber. My grandpa didn't do much fishing today. It was an awesome day for everyone and I am glad I finally know the tricks to catching striper! All of the striper were caught on anchovies.

My first striper!

My dad's first striper. A solid 6 lber!

Robo Bass's first striper!

Robo Bass's second striper.

Robo Bass's third striper.
ukey28

Post by ukey28 »

Now that's a good day!!! Congratulations to all of you! Nice to see the whole family enjoying a day of fishing. Happy New Year!
Frank : Bassin' USA Prostaff : New York
heylucky

Post by heylucky »

Good Times you guys!!!
"Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish"
swimbait101

Post by swimbait101 »

nice strippers
Fire Ball

Post by Fire Ball »

Originally Posted By: ukey28Now that's a good day!!! Congratulations to all of you! Nice to see the whole family enjoying a day of fishing. Happy New Year!
Not the whole family, lol. My mom, brothers, and sister didn't go! Only me, my dad, my grandpa, and then my friend Robo Bass went. One of my brothers was in trouble and then my mom and my other brother don't like fishing. My sister is too young to go fishing and gets bored really fast, but she wants to catch a fish!
swimbait101

Post by swimbait101 »

i still cant believe what ur little bro did..........