Castaic Lake 1/10 - First Stripers of 2010

Read reports, exchange information and current conditions for the lakes, ponds & rivers in your area...
Fire Ball

Post by Fire Ball »

I hit the upper lake today with my dad, grandpa, and brother after getting the boat fixed nearly 100% yesterday. We headed over to the buoy line and baited up and after about 15 minutes, I got my first bite of the day. It was a 2 lb schoolie and it was my first fish of 2010! Not too bad, but look at the picture below. I didn't want to lip this guy because he had some weird thing in his mouth. I don't know what it is called, but it looked disgusting, lol. About 5 minutes after that, my dad got a little 1 lb schoolie and nearly 1 minute later, my grandpa got his first striper, a 1.5 lber. We didn't catch anything for a while so we cruised around and fished Elizabeth Canyon for a little while. Nothing there so we move back to the buoy line. Still nothing, but then all of a sudden my rod starts twitching and BENDO! I reel it up and get a 1.5 lb striper. About 5 minutes later, I get another one!! This one was also 1.5 lb. It was pretty cool to get 2 right after each other. A little while later, BENDO! I reel up another 1.5 lb schoolie. A little while after that we headed in for the day. I ended up with 4, my dad got 1, my grandpa got 1, and my brother caught 0! My brother did more complaining than fishing today... It was a pretty good day on the water and the wind wasn't too bad.

Biggest of the day at 2 lb. What is that thing sticking out of his mouth? LOL

My second fish weighing 1.5 lb.

My third weighing 1.5 lb.

Yet another weighing 1.5 lb.

My dad's wimpy 1 lber! We got a 6 lber last time, haha!

My grandpa's first striper weighing 1.5 lb. He didn't want to hold it because I told him the teeth are sharp so you have to hold them well so they don't wiggle around.
Fire Ball

Post by Fire Ball »

Originally Posted By: NunzGreat report and Pics. Way to go!!!! Did you ever figure out what was in his mouth?
Thanks. It ended up being the stomach! The stomach got push out of its mouth by the swim bladder on this once since we were catching them real deep.