Castaic Lake 1/17 - Stripers in the Rain

Read reports, exchange information and current conditions for the lakes, ponds & rivers in your area...
Fire Ball

Post by Fire Ball »

My dad, Robo Bass, and I headed up to Castaic this morning and got there around 7:00. We talked to DFG for a minute or two right before we went through the gate. It was nice to know that they were there. We go to our spot and the anchor started dragging and didn't catch. We eventually drifted too far from where we wanted to be and moved a little. After moving, a few minutes later I get a strong pull on my rod in the holder, but nothing. Robo Bass got a strike a few minutes after I did and he ended up not hooking the fish either! A little while later, Robo Bass gets a fish and it was a decent 1.5 lb schoolie. We stayed near the buoy line for another hour, then moved a little closer to the buoy line and saw some people next to us bring in 3 fish while we were there. We didn't get anything then, but Robo Bass did manage to hook a huge log/branch with some line on it and was able to bring it all the way to the surface on 10 lb P-Line. It was pretty big and I was surprised that it didn't break his line! We stayed at that spot for a little longer and but didn't get anything. We decided to try out another spot on the other side of the lake after that. We pulled up to a spot right near Elizabeth Canyon and I ended up with a 2 lb striper, my dad ended up with a 1.5 lber, a 1 lber, and then an almost lber, and then Robo Bass caught a 1.5 lber, 3 lber, and an almost 1 lber at the new spot. My striper ended up throwing up on me. Its stomach contained lots of peas and corn that ended up on me and the boat, lol. Right when we pulled up to this spot, we spotted a big school on the fish finder. Me and Robo Bass kept getting tons of nibbles and almost bendos and ended up not hooking the fish most of the time. It was making me so made! I could have ended up with 20 fish! Haha! I don't know why we weren't hooking them!! They were real careful about taking the bait today. Next time I am going to try some new tactics to catch a few more. Robo Bass now tied my record of 4 stripers in one day, but he couldn't beat it! Haha. I always seem to do better when Robo Bass doesn't go with us!

My only striper of the day, weighing 2 lbs.

My dad's first striper of the day weighing 1.5 lbs.

My dad's second fish, a 1 lber.

My dad's third fish weighing not quite a pound.

Robo Bass's first fish of the day and the only one caught at the buoy line today. It weighed 1.5 lbs.

Robo Bass with another 1.5 lb striper.

Robo Bass with the big fish of the day, weighing 3 lbs. It was pretty fat!

Robo Bass with yet another fish, but it weighted just under a 1 lb.
swimbait101

Post by swimbait101 »

nice stripers, i guess your dad knows there fish there
what where you using and how, you keep telling me you have lots of bites
Fire Ball

Post by Fire Ball »

Originally Posted By: swimbait101nice stripers, i guess your dad knows there fish there
what where you using and how, you keep telling me you have lots of bites
Sardines and anchovies 60 to 95 feet deep. It always works! You Carolina rig the bait and then just drop it down and reel it up to a certain depth until you get some bites.
swimbait101

Post by swimbait101 »

id put it on a jig head because if its on a carolina rig and not on the bottom, the fish will fell the weight before you see the rod bend
think about it and imagine the carolina rig underwater
Fire Ball

Post by Fire Ball »

Originally Posted By: swimbait101id put it on a jig head because if its on a carolina rig and not on the bottom, the fish will fell the weight before you see the rod bend
think about it and imagine the carolina rig underwater
Carolina up off the bottom is good because they can move the bait up and stuff without feeling weight and everything. Plus it gives the bait a slow fall when you drop it down or when you jerk it up. It will get to the desired depth first, then it will slowly float after that. Fish will not feel weight before it bends. It will be the same as jighead, but jighead is not going to work right.
The fish aren't going to feel the weight at all, they will just feel the resistance of the rod and they can move the bait up, right, and left without feeling weight. I might try jighead thought too if I think about it. I will let you know if it works out better. I am not going to the upper lake for 2 weeks probably.
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

Looks like you guys had a great time. I like that idea about using a Carolina rig with live bait... makes perfect sense.
Brendan C.
Fire Ball

Post by Fire Ball »

Originally Posted By: BrendanLooks like you guys had a great time. I like that idea about using a Carolina rig with live bait... makes perfect sense.
Actually we were using cut bait. You can't get any live bait really around here and I don't know how well an anchovy or sardine would survive in freshwater, lol.