Castaic Lagoon 1/24

Read reports, exchange information and current conditions for the lakes, ponds & rivers in your area...
Fire Ball

Castaic Lagoon 1/24

Post by Fire Ball »

I hit the Lagoon today with swimbait101 and Robo Bass. We got on the water at about 7:30 and started off for one of our spots. We got there and I started looking for bait balls on my fish finder. We found a good spot and start fishing the area and I got bit pretty fast. I thought it was a bass when I first hooked it, because it was fighting like one, but when I got it halfway up to the surface I could tell it was going to be a crappie. It ended up being 1.6 lbs. swimabait101 was working a different area, but he later came over to the spot that Robo Bass and I were at. As we were looking for more bait balls, swimbait101 hooked up and it ended up being a 1.4 lb catfish! We were really surprised to have him catch a catfish on the same lure that we use to catch bass and crappie! I got some more bites, but I lost them all because I wasn't paying any attention once I felt the hit because I was talking to swimbait101 and Robo Bass. We move to check out a new spot and I got snagged, but I was able to free my lure. A few minutes later I got snagged again, but I could not free it this time. After that I was fed up with the spot and we moved back to the old spot. swimbait101 caught a small crappie a little while after we were at the old spot. Then Robo Bass caught a 1.4 lb crappie a little later. The wind started to pick up and we weren't able to stay on the spots we wanted to any more, so we moved around to find some more bait balls with fish mixed in. swimabait101 left at about this time. We weren't able to find anything that we liked so we moved across the lake. In the middle of the lake on the way across, I metered some bass and was able to get one to bite my lure, but I wasn't paying attention once again and lost it. Once we made it across, we really didn't find any more bait or fish so we started to explore and tried and find another spot. We made our way all the way to the North end of the lake and I had no idea that it was so shallow! It was only 16 ft in the middle of the lake! After working the North end for a little bit, we decided to leave. I think the storm effected the bass fishing a lot, because I am usually able to catch a couple if I can find a school on bait, but all I was able to find were crappie, which are still fun to catch. The new fish finder worked great for measuring depths and finding bait balls! swimbait101 kept 2 crappies and then the catfish and he decided to weight them on the verified scale, so the weights are extremely accurate.

My nice 1.6 lb crappie.

Robo Bass's 1.4 lb crappie.

swimbait101's 1.4 lb catfish and small crappie.
swimbait101

Castaic Lagoon 1/24

Post by swimbait101 »

i look weird........
im sure you all know this but PICTURES MAKE FISH LOOK TEEENY TINY
the bigger crappies were bigger than my face

you left out that when robobass went to the bathroom, his tube floated away fom him......hahaha
Fire Ball

Castaic Lagoon 1/24

Post by Fire Ball »

Originally Posted By: swimbait101i look weird........
im sure you all know this but PICTURES MAKE FISH LOOK TEEENY TINY
the bigger crappies were bigger than my face

you left out that when robobass went to the bathroom, his tube floated away fom him......hahaha
Yes, the pictures definitely make the fish look small. The lighting wasn't right, so it made your picture weird.

That was hilarious when Robo Bass's tube floated away from him!! HAHA!! I almost forgot about it!
brendanc

Castaic Lagoon 1/24

Post by brendanc »

It looks like you guys were fishing in a crowd that day...
Brendan C.
Fire Ball

Castaic Lagoon 1/24

Post by Fire Ball »

Originally Posted By: BrendanIt looks like you guys were fishing in a crowd that day...
Yes, people were hanging around us and our spot because there was a massive amount of bait all around us, lol. We moved after a little while to explore some new spots after the all the people showed up. I didn't seen anyone else catch a fish though. We had the spot and then moved off of it then moved back and a bunch of people started to show up. All I saw was a dead crappie that someone caught and released and just let it float. They are caught so deep that they need to be kept or fizzed. I can get bass to go back down without fizzing them with a trick I know, but the crappie aren't the same way most of the time when they are caught deep. We were finding the bait in like 60 feet of water right on the bottom.
heylucky

Castaic Lagoon 1/24

Post by heylucky »

Nice job guys! I am missing the lagoon.. the weather here in Texas has been terrible! not to mention the fishing. Hopefully I will be home soon and get to fish with all my friends!
"Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish"