Castaic Lagoon: Back to Back Pigs, one DD Lunker

Read reports, exchange information and current conditions for the lakes, ponds & rivers in your area...
George Cawthorn

Post by George Cawthorn »

I have been doing a lot of fishing lately at Castaic Lagoon but been too busy and tired out due to working at night to make reports for a while.

The bite at the Lagoon lately has been really great although spotty.

The rigs for all but the two big ones were on 6 lb. P-Line Halo. Dropshots or Senko on spinning gear. Plastics that have been working good are Roboworm prism craw, Bonzai cinnamon neon core, and Zoom tiny fluke water mellon.

Big fish were taken down on 10 lb. Seaguar InvizX, 6.5 ft. medium hard rod, Quantum PT spinning reel and Senkos. Good colors have been water mellon 194J and water mellon/pumpkin laminate. Big one went for the water mellon/pumpkin.

Got a few good ones at night. Been going up real early to get on my spot. Sometimes even at 3:00 am someone has been one it.

Four pounds, fish was injured on tail, I think I caught this same fish a week later.

5 pounder on DS.

4.5 pounds, Senko on 6 lb. P-Line Halo.

4 pounder on DS, I am pretty sure this is the same fish I caught at night and released a week earlier. Note long skinny fish with injury on top of tail.

6.25 lb. water mellon 5" Senko on 6 lb. P-Line Halo.

3 lbs., dropshot Roboworm prism craw.

6 lbs. water mellon 5" Senko on 6 lb. P-Line Halo.

Yesterday I went up to the Lagoon super early. Coyotees were running around the parking lot when I got there before 4 am.

Fished for a while in the dark with nothing, began to get light and at around 6 am I connected with back to back pigs. The first smaller at 9.5 lbs. and the second a DD lunker at 11.5 lbs.

I had never caught two in a row like this that weighted over 20 lbs. combined.
Both put up monster fights. First one went for the 5" water mellon Senko on 10 lb. Seaguar InvisX and the big one went for the 5" water mellon/pumpkin laminate. 6.5 foot med. hard action spinning rod, Quantum PT reel.

9.5 lbs.

11.5 lbs.

I am so lucky in a way to have been rigged up with 10 lb. line for these two. Up till now for the year mostly I was fishing with 6 lb. only. Last week I had a really big one on with six pound line that went for the Senko and I go broken off in a heart breaking ending to a long fight.

I have to admit after catching these two early on I didn't care that the Lagoon dished me up a plate of skunk until around noon when I was leaving. Six hours with nothing to calm down a little.

Finally connected with a little one on the DS Tiny fluke but nobody wants to see pictures of little ones........ ahhh what the heck. This is how my day ended. Totally stoked!!!!!!!!

1.25 lb.

PS: I was still excited to get the little one.
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

Nice report and pics... Congrats on the 2 big ones... 11.5 and 9.5 those are some real serious pigs! Glad to hear that you are getting out more often.
Brendan C.
swimbait101

Post by swimbait101 »

whoa nice!! those are all nice fish!
do you use the 6 or 7 inch senkos at all?

shhhhh prizm kraw is suppose to be a secret cuz no only a couple people are using them. >/laugh.gif" alt="laugh" title="laugh" height="15" width="15" /> jk man

i cant wait for moonlight tube fishing!
ukey28

Post by ukey28 »

Wow! Geo, NICE FISH!!! Wow! What Can I say, Great Job!! Didn't recognize you in the pictures without a beard! I kept wondering who the young guy with all of the big fish was!! Looks like you lost a little weight too! I guess the fish found it!!!

Really Nice job, I hope all your days are like that!
Frank : Bassin' USA Prostaff : New York
George Cawthorn

Thanks guys.

I solemnly swear never to complain about the price of Senkos again!!!!!

I've tried the sixes, didn't get that many bites. Never have tried the sevens.

Oh.... I forgot to mention all fish were released after photos as usual.
ronlehman909

Post by ronlehman909 »

Real Nice Geo! Isn't that your first DD from the Lagoon?
Ron Lehman
[email protected]
George Cawthorn

Thanks Ron!!

That was my first DD this year at the Lagoon.

I have had three others and it has been a long time since my last.

The biggest of the three, 13.25 lbs. was over three years ago in winter on March 18.

Check out my profile page under Pro Staff, California..... if you would like to see a photo of that one.

swimbait101

Post by swimbait101 »

i hope nobody from another forum will crowd your spot because all those are nice sized.

do you think you are gonna fish this saturday or the monday after the 4th?
George Cawthorn

My next attack at the Lagoon will most likely be Tuesday or Wednesday.

I'm not worried about anyone crowding my spot. The whole south end of the Lagoon is a good spot.

And lucky for me it's more about how and when rather than where and what.

Peace out!!!!!
Fire Ball

Post by Fire Ball »

Congrats on the 9 lber and 11 lber and all the other nice ones. >/laugh.gif" alt="laugh" title="laugh" height="15" width="15" />
swimbait101 is right, lol. Prizm Kraw is a secret, haha. At least it was!