Bear Tracks at Piru Shoreline, CA

This is the place for off-topic posts. Have something besides fishing on your mind? Post it here. WARNING THIS AREA CONTAINS CONTENT THAT MAY NOT BE SUITABLE FOR CHILDREN!!!
George Cawthorn

Post by George Cawthorn »

I dug out some photos from my fishing album. These are from a while back but me and my son ran across these tracks at the end of the visitors road in front of the last parking lot at the shoreline of Piru.

I estimate by the depth and size of these tracks that the bear probably was about 400 pounds.

No joke, when you get out to the wild areas you really do have to keep the radar on.

ronlehman909

Post by ronlehman909 »

Very cool pictures George. Hard to believe that the lake is about an hour from downtown Los Angeles, 45 minutes from the Pacific Ocean and 15 minutes from Los Angeles County. I love California!
Ron Lehman
[email protected]
rbtek1

Post by rbtek1 »

Wow!! I fished the back lot shore line a few weeks ago. Scarry!
George Cawthorn

Post by George Cawthorn »

Yeah Rich I basically put these photos up for you to check out.

I don't consider this something to be so afraid of that it would stop you from fishing there but you have to be aware of what is going on around you at all times.

Of course bears are not the only critters to be on the lookout for, Mountain Lion and rattlers are also always high on my list. Bobcats are around too.

I have not seen the big cats at Piru but I have seen them on the shoreline of Castaic and also Pyramid.

This photo shows some pretty large Mountain Lion tracks I came across at the west ramp area at Castaic not long ago. The photo was taken on 5/26/10. They were very fresh. There are warning signs in the area just before you go down the trail.

I've only seen it once myself, it rarely shows up in daylight but occasionally a water mellon will show up around the rocks at the south end of the Lagoon. This one can be especially dangerous.
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

Man... I've heard abput those water melons... bad news...
Brendan C.