Night Bass Fishing on Long Island Ponds - Summer

Read reports, exchange information and current conditions for the lakes, ponds & rivers in your area...
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

I must say that in the past few weeks the "night bite" on Long Island has been very good. All this hot weather has been taking its toll on the bass and it seems like more big bass are choosing to feed during the night hours. If you have been struggling during the day, give nighttime bass fishing a try (if you haven't already). You can use a lot of the same teechniques that you use during the day. Jigs & Spinnerbaits are great night fishing lures.

Recently I have been waking the surface with big swimbaits and having a lot of success. It really gets the blood pumping when a bass attacks a surface or sub-surface lure at night. Sometimes they hit right at your feet... talk about a heart stopper!

I personnaly like using heavy gear at night. Baitcasters, single-hook lures and 17-20 lb test line. At night they tend not to be line shy and it really stacks the odds in your favor of landing those bigger slobs.

One thing I need to work on forsure is getting better photos at night, these ones really bite the big one, but I'll post them anyway because bass fishing reports aren't much fun to read without the photos to go along with them. Please excuse the poor quality, but here are a couple of nice ones from my last few outings.

Attached files
Brendan C.
George Cawthorn

Post by George Cawthorn »

Nice bass Brendan. Yeah it is a lot of fun and exciting to go out at night.

This time of year the bite is better and you don't have to deal with the heat.
David Lengyel

Post by David Lengyel »

Nice night time bass there Brendan, what swimbaits are you using? I am going to be experimenting with Bluegill shaped/colored ones once my order from Tackle Warehouse arrives and I have just the place in mind.

Dave
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

Keitech Fat 5.8" - Moroko Gold, rigged on a J-Will Swimbait jig head.

Attached files
Brendan C.
David Lengyel

Post by David Lengyel »

Thanks Brendan. I have been meaning to really give soft swimbaits a shot. That set up looks good and next internet order I will pick up a few.
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

You'll be hooked forever once you try them...
Brendan C.