Whats your favorite winter bassin technique?

Our community is all about helping out our fellow anglers. Post general bass fishing topics here
Crestliner

Post by Crestliner »

You can get the mold, blade inserts, split rings & hooks from Netcraft. Very reasonable to do your own. I keep saying I'm going to do just that, but I've already got too many irons in the fire.

(www.jannsnetcraft.com)
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

Yeah, I have some buddies that make them too. I make some stuff, but not blades. Post that pic Fireball, stop holdin' out on us man! >/wink.gif" alt="wink" title="wink" height="15" width="15" />
Brendan C.
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

Anyone been doing any winter fishing this season? Lakes just froze over the last couple of weeks, so ice fishing should be coming into its own. What's happening in your area?

How's the fishing been down south where the weather never gets real cold?

Any reports?
Brendan C.
Crestliner

Post by Crestliner »

It's been a very unusual winter up here for sure. A bit over a week ago it was -14 deg.! Everything was frozen up tight, including the CT. River. And since I'm not an ice fisherman, I've been frozen "up tight" as well!

Today it's 50 degrees and ice flows are making river fishing just too dangerous. I've got a feeling there won't be much fishing going on here until later in Feb. or March. >/frown.gif" alt="frown" title="frown" height="15" width="15" />

However, at the first signs of winter releasing it's grip and ice leaves, we'll be dropping blade baits for smallies and lakers. Can't wait! >/smile.gif" alt="smile" title="smile" height="15" width="15" />
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

Check out this article on ice fishing from ProStaffer Dan Galusha;

Line Watching On The Ice

Brendan C.
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

Here's what some of our followers on Facebook had to say ( View Conversation ) :

Terry Kloster Crawling a jig
January 23 at 11:50am ·

Michael Campilio Worm
January 23 at 12:14pm ·

Bee Tee blades, fnf
January 23 at 1:12pm ·

George Ray Jerkbait
January 23 at 1:28pm ·

Dee Aye Mini mite
January 23 at 1:48pm ·

Dustin Schafernak Haha shut up dee aye
January 23 at 1:53pm ·

Bassin' USA Never heard of it... right
Bassin' USA's photo.
January 23 at 2:17pm ·

Dee Aye White pink head
January 23 at 2:18pm ·

Dee Aye That's it
January 23 at 2:18pm ·

Bassin' USA The color I like isn't on here...
Bassin' USA's photo.
January 23 at 2:19pm ·

Bassin' USA Bass don't eat those little things...
Bassin' USA's photo.
January 23 at 2:21pm ·

Bassin' USA Bee Tee Float n' fly and blades are two deadly cold water lures for sure. What size rod do you like to use with the fnf?
January 23 at 2:23pm ·

Bassin' USA Hey Dustin and Dee you guys ever use the Mini Mite under a Float?
January 23 at 2:25pm ·

Dustin Schafernak I use a really lite wooden bobber and let the wind drift it.
January 23 at 2:29pm ·

Bassin' USA DO you like using a bobber stopper with it too?
January 23 at 2:48pm ·

Bee Tee Not really, I use a crimped bobber hook so it floats freely on the three way swivel.
January 23 at 2:55pm ·

Bassin' USA Bee Tee Do you use more traditional style tied hair jigs with you fnf setup? I like both depending on the conditions.
January 23 at 3:01pm ·

Bassin' USA So far we've got Terry crawling jigs, Michael who likes fishing a worm, Bee float and fly and blades, George uses a jerkbait, Dustin and Dee are digging the Mini Mites... What else?
January 23 at 3:04pm ·

Bassin' USA Anyone every drop shot a fly streamer? That's one of my favorites...
January 23 at 3:05pm ·

Nunzio Prato Climb back in bed and get under all the blankets.....lol. Down size and slowwwwwwwww down.
January 23 at 3:08pm ·

Ken Simonsen Dynamite
January 23 at 6:10pm ·

Dee Aye Gaming. Socom. Severs done after the 28th. N'S status
January 23 at 6:36pm ·

Donna Harper slow slow slow and even more slow technique on a weightless worm
January 24 at 9:49pm ·
Brendan C.
Crestliner

Post by Crestliner »

Barlow's now offers blade bait bodies (without hooks), pre-molded and ready to add rings & hooks. These bodies are offered in plain brass or silver.

I prefer the silver as it doesn't really require any finishing, per say, unless you want to adorn the lead section. The brass bodies are designed to be finished yourself, i.e. painting of blade and body. I don't like hand painting blade baits. Tried it and I believe it dampens the vibrations. If you were able to spray paint them, that might work better, but I'd still prefer naked blades.

BTW, the finished lure cost only about $1.50 ea. when you buy them in bulk (25 pcs.). Not a bad deal. No longer have to sweat loosing $5.00 every time you hook the bottom!
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

That's a great score... Barlow's has some great stuff at great prices. Thanks for the share! You looking at open water yet?
Brendan C.
Crestliner

Post by Crestliner »

Hey Brendan, yes, we've had everything open for about a month now. Been busy fishing the Quabbin Res., and hitting loads of Lake Trout on the blade baits. Last trip we got almost a doz. in the 3 - 5 lb. class. Water temps are hovering around the 50 degree mark right now. Some 12 & 15 lb. lakers have been taken as well.

Will start attacking the smallies in another week or two. Right now we're focusing on the hot action with the lakers being up shallow (25' - 45'), using the blades on medium spinning rigs. Lots of fun! >/smile.gif" alt="smile" title="smile" height="15" width="15" />

Here's a few of the fish we're tying into, using 1/2 oz. blades on 8# test fluorocarbon:

brendanc

Post by brendanc »

That's awesome Crestliner... Sounds like you're having a lot of fun up there. Thanks for sharing those photos too. Can't wait to see some more smallie action when you get around to targeting them in a week or two.

Just curious, do you ever eat any of them? I've heard mixed reports from guys... some say they are good to eat and other say they are not.
Brendan C.