Tragedy on Barkley Lake

Our community is all about helping out our fellow anglers. Post general bass fishing topics here
kspringer

Tragedy on Barkley Lake

Post by kspringer »

Guys and Gals, this past Friday morning at 7:15am there was a boating accident on Barkley Lake that took the life of one of our fishing brothers. We had four circuits fishing their classics and regionals out of different marinas on Kentucky and Barkley Lakes here in Kentucky. It was estimated that there were over 1100 boats on the lakes. With that being said, these lake can handle that many boats if everyone just uses some common sense and pays attention to their surroundings.
One of the boats was heading South and the other was heading North on Barkley Lake near the Kuttawa area. There is a big curve in the main river channel and with the lakes being drawn down to winter pool you must run the channel to avoid running aground. As one boat made the turn he was on a head on collision course with the other boat. Both boats were estimated to be running in the high 60 mph. They both took corrective measures to avoid the collision, but corrected in the same direction. At the last second they each made another corrective turn, but again corrected in the same direction causing one boat to t bone the other directley at the passanger seat of the boat. the bow of the boat and trolling motor struck the passenger killing him on impact. The other three were thrown from the boats and were unharmed due to the fact they were wearing life jackets and had kill switches attached. The victum was a 41 yo male from Mississippi fishing in his first BFL Regional. He is survived by his wife and two daughters. Please remember all involved in your thoughts and prayers.
This tragedy has really affected me and made me take a long hard look at how I handle my boat and taking care of myself and my co angler. Guys, we really need to pay attention to whats going on around us and not get caught up in whats on our GPS or sidefinders. Please be careful out there, dont think that the other person sees you and is going to change their line, take it upon yourselves to know boating safety and make the first corrective move. No fish or check is worth putting yourself or you co angler in harms way.
brendanc

Tragedy on Barkley Lake

Post by brendanc »

From everyone at BASSIN' USA we send our deepest condolences to the family of the non-boater, 41-year old Freddie McCrory of Europa, Mississippi.
Brendan C.