Canadian Smallmouth Bass

This is the place for off-topic posts. Have something besides fishing on your mind? Post it here. WARNING THIS AREA CONTAINS CONTENT THAT MAY NOT BE SUITABLE FOR CHILDREN!!!
fishfool

Canadian Smallmouth Bass

Post by fishfool »

Hey everyone,

I have a question that maybe some of you more experienced bass fishermen can help me with.

I have been going up to my cabin in canada for many years and some of my favorite fish to catch are smallmouth bass. I used to be able to nail them pretty well with a small white plastic grub and a 1/8th ounce jig around rocky shoreline and drop-offs until a couple years ago.

Does anyone have any ideas for something I can do differently?
Crestliner

Canadian Smallmouth Bass

Post by Crestliner »

What are the conditions you are faced with? Are you fishing pre/post spawn, summer, fall? Is the water clear or stained? What's the main forage in the lake? Lots of weeds? Are you fishing from shore or boat? Do you have a sonar?

All presentations are effective at one time or another, depending on what you are faced with. I think a Jitterbug is an effective presentation - sometimes - but not at other times.

Thinking you are face with a Canadian shield-type lake; not very fertile, rocky and deep. I'd search points and inside bends with a wacky rigged 5" Senko for starters, if it's a summer scenario you are faced with. Or, if it's early in the season, you would probably be better off with a suspending jerk bait. Again....it depends. A little more info would be helpful.
brendanc

Canadian Smallmouth Bass

Post by brendanc »

Good suggestions... more details would be helpful, so we can try andgive you some more specifc alternative ideas.
Brendan C.
fishfool

Canadian Smallmouth Bass

Post by fishfool »

Try changing the color of your grub - crawfish works well in those waters. X-raps also good early in the year.