which fish box should i get?

Our community is all about helping out our fellow anglers. Post general bass fishing topics here
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

lol yeah... I also like: B O A T "Break Out Another Thousand"

When I got my 997 I bought what was reffered to as the "high speed" transducer (through hull) then I have an A/B switch installed that lets me toggle between transducers... I can get all three modes going at one time, sonar, down & side... I never changed my A/B config, so I'm not sure if the second transducer really comes into play with down scanning. What did you hear?

BTW this is the scree config I usually use when searching around:

Brendan C.
bassin butch

Post by bassin butch »

Brendan the extra trans does not come into to play with down scan, that feature is part of the side scan trans.

The new software update for 2011 adds some cool things: Measured grid lines shown on the left and right of side scan displays. This makes it very easy to determine exactly how far the viewed structure is away from you. They also added: Zoom features to down scan, and optinal merging of the left and right side scan screens as one. By that I am saying: the open gap in the center of your screen shot is removed.

PS: the a/B transducer selector switch is no longer need on 798 and higher units.

I was on the bubble: buy a bigger dog unit or 2 of the smaller DI units. Everyone told me to go with side scan as it's the shizzle.
Sure hope they are right these things are not cheap!
Butch
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

Originally Posted By: bassin butch For the benefit of all: If you wish to split screen display with 2D locator, down, and side imaging the extra transducer is needed.

I think this is the comment that got me confused about the transducers... all good...

Hey don't worry, once you have it, you'll never regret it. I don't know how people are going to compete in tournaments with out one... it really gives people an advantage that sonar can't compete with...
Brendan C.
SCBassboy1984

Post by SCBassboy1984 »

thanks guys i just bought a hds-5-gps with structure scan
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

SC... that's the unit that was having issues with water getting into the screen... have they resolved that issue?
Brendan C.