The Art of Finding Fish / Water Body Research

This is the place for off-topic posts. Have something besides fishing on your mind? Post it here. WARNING THIS AREA CONTAINS CONTENT THAT MAY NOT BE SUITABLE FOR CHILDREN!!!
scottpellegrin

Post by scottpellegrin »

Hey guys,

I'd like to spark a conversation regarding this topic. Where do you guys look to find information about waters you haven't been to yet, or have fished for years? I know forums and maps are a good place to start but what things do you google? What websites do you look at? What literature do you seek out? I was looking a lake improvement associations the other day and some have maps with gps coordinates of man made rock reefs and fish cribs. Once you have this information how do you use it to help put an effective plan together and go out and find fish? Any input is appreciated and thanks in advance if you post.

Thanks,

Scott Pellegrin
Is it possible to spend too much time on the water?
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

Hey Scott,

Great question/topic. These days there is so much information available to us via the internet. A great research is looking information up on "dive websites". The only challenge is if they are really popular dive sites, you sometimes can't get near them to fish, but it can key you in to the depths where schools of bass like to congregate in deeper water. I don't want to mention too much, let's leave some room for other people to comment. (Although a lot of guys like to keep this kind of info to themselves) lol

BC
Brendan C.
allen howard

Post by allen howard »

Myself I have a set of books with lake maps of Kentucky Indiana and Ohio. I also go to mytopo.com to get a look at the lake. but the number one thing is time on the water. If I'm doing a tourney I try to go a day or two before and scope out the lake and do a little pre fishing. But that all can change according to the weather.As they say every day is a new begining. Just because they were hitting jigs yesterday doesn't mean they will today. A good side scan can be invaluable when conditions are changing, especially in the spring. When weather conditions can change dramaticly from day to day. That being said I look for transition areas in the spring where the bait fish move constantly. Look for possible spawning areas and areas that are close to that as a stageas. Attention to detail and preperation is the key.