Got out again!

Read reports, exchange information and current conditions for the lakes, ponds & rivers in your area...
ukey28

Got out again!

Post by ukey28 »

I was working in the shop when my cell phone rang and my buddy, Longcast, said, "Hey, can you get out tonight if I pull up to the dock?" Well, who can resist that, right? Heck the wife won't even notice I'm gone and it beats asking her for the keys to the truck!! About 10:30PM I hear someone down by the dock and I go to check it out. Sure enough it's Longcast, so I put down the shotgun and ran back up to the shop. I grabbed a couple of rods and a hand full of lures and jumped into his boat. Now I don't often get to be the guy in the backseat on my home lake so this was even better than a usual night trip. We had a 3/4 moon and a south wind blowing at about 10-15mph. The breeze took most topwater stuff off the radar, but the evening had spinnerbait written all over it in really big letters! I told Longcast I was fishing for one bite, just one fish, and every lure I had tied on was huge! A Musky jitterbug, a 1 ounce boogerman musky buzzbait and a giant shallow running spinnerbait since the lake is only 7 feet deep at its deepest part. On my second cast with my new favorite super secret night bait, a black blade, black skirted, Water Buffalo Spinnerbait by Valentine Lures, the lure gets absolutely crushed! The fight is on and the fish is giving a really good account of itself, which was surprising with a surface temp of 82! I land it and onto the scales it goes with a big number 5 lighting up. A nice start to the evening. Now I could have just said to Longcast take me back to the dock, I'm done, but knowing how he loves it when I catching big ones I stayed on for his sake! About three casts later the bait gets crushed again by a very presentable three and a half pounder. What could possibly put a damper on this kind of action? Well, the second fish flipped the black blade off of the spinnerbait!!! Back to the house, no black blades!!! I put a gold one on and never got touched again all night! I rate color far down on the list of important factors in fishing, but last night it seemed to have a huge influence. Finally, Longcast got a 2.75 pounder on a 10' worm as a consolation fish toward the end of the trip. The wind had picked up to 15-20mph with some higher gusts,so presentations and feel were becoming more and more difficult. We got back to my dock around 12:30 and Longcast fished his way back to the ramp without any interuption. We took some pictures of the fish so you could get a better feel for the night.

This is the five pounder, as you can see in the picture, I am out on a day pass from the Spastics Anonymous' Halfway House

This is the 3.5 and now the medication is kicking in! At least I'm smiling without too much drooling and unintentional muscle twitches!

[img]

As you can see in the picture the spinnerbait is spinnerless, Epic Fail on the lure's part!

This is how a fishing picture should look, as you might have guessed it was taken by the patient in the back of the boat! Doesn't Longcast look absolutely thrilled. Ask him sometime about what I said just before the cast that he caughth this on!

...and since I know that you would all be asking, I have attached a picture of my new secret spinnerbait! Its so secret it barely comes out on film!

Til next time, Tight Lines!
Frank : Bassin' USA Prostaff : New York
Fire Ball

Got out again!

Post by Fire Ball »

Night fishing is the best! Also, great color on those bass!
Longcast

Got out again!

Post by Longcast »

It was quite the trip with the bright yellow shirt. Mind you, he even asked that the boat be docked a certain way before he would step in. Spastic is how he entered the boat, but at least I went home with all rods in one piece! It was a little tough to watch as 5 casts converted into two respectable fish. Anyway, we were moving along and the patient says "fish over there", so I cast, and before I could turn the handle I felt like I was fishing an eel for a striped bass in the inlet! The line starts running out. I land the fish and returned the patient to his dock........on the side he requested.
slink16

Got out again!

Post by slink16 »

Very entertaining stories! Great looking fish too!