Dreaded summer slump

This is the place for off-topic posts. Have something besides fishing on your mind? Post it here. WARNING THIS AREA CONTAINS CONTENT THAT MAY NOT BE SUITABLE FOR CHILDREN!!!
allen howard

Dreaded summer slump

Post by allen howard »

Every season after the spawn the heat waves pound you like a jack hammer. The water temps are in the high 80's to 90's and youv'e got enough sun block on to grease a truck with. Every surface on your boat is hot enough to fry an egg on. It's the begining of the summer slump and time to start the night tournaments. Restring all your reels with florecent line and make sure all the black lights are working. Dig out every black and blue lure you can find. It's just a little cooler at night only in the high 70's to low 80's but no skiers or jet skis to deal with just the occational party boat. If the top water bite is on it can be alot of fun. The big slpash and a tug on your line. Large plastics the size of a annaconda and 1oz jigs.The payoff could be a big bag of fish or a long night of casting either way your still fishing and what else could be better than that!
brendanc

Dreaded summer slump

Post by brendanc »

I hear you Alycat... summer time night fishing can be awesome. If you like frog fishing though, the dog days can be a great time of year to be on the water...
Brendan C.
allen howard

Dreaded summer slump

Post by allen howard »

I agree Brendon. I love topwater. Frogs,spooks,buzzbaits,popR's,jitter bugs,devil horse. With the water temps in the high80's to 90's they have started to suspend at 18 to 20ft so i've been drop shotting and useing a shakey head with a 4'' gulp alive minnow. With good results.It's a great double rig. But the night topwater bite is the most exciting by far.
brendanc

Dreaded summer slump

Post by brendanc »

Silence and then... SLURP! I hear you bro... One of my favorites is a black Jitter Bug. Especially when it's slick and calm.
Brendan C.
allen howard

Dreaded summer slump

Post by allen howard »

Yea you bet I've got one tied on! Also a buzzbait,carolina rig,tube,brushhawg and spinnerbait. Yes and all of them in black n blue. Then I've got two rods rigged for daylight a dropshot shakey head and a crankbait. Can't wait to get on the water!