Biggest Bass Fish You Ever Hooked

This is the place for off-topic posts. Have something besides fishing on your mind? Post it here. WARNING THIS AREA CONTAINS CONTENT THAT MAY NOT BE SUITABLE FOR CHILDREN!!!
wgbassgirl

Post by wgbassgirl »

What is the biggest bass you ever hooked? If you have pics post them

The biggest I've ever hooked is and didn't lose was about 3.5lbs. Yes I know pretty small compared to most of you out there, but I did hook almost a 5 but lost it before getting it back to the boat.
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

OK, hooked or caught/landed? Also does the casting tank at Bass Pro Shops count? (kidding)
Brendan C.
wgbassgirl

Post by wgbassgirl »

Caught/Landed..no Bass Pro Shop tanks >/smile.gif" alt="smile" title="smile" height="15" width="15" />..lol
ukey28

Post by ukey28 »

I can't tell you how big they were. The first was a fish in Lake Kissimmee in Fla. in the early 70's. I was practicing for a tournament and found an old dredge hole that dropped pretty deep in a large flat. I was workkng a plastic worm on the edge when some thing bumped it. I set the hook and the next thing I knew, the rod was pulling my wrists from up to straight out. With the rod pointing directly at the fish, it swam away. not super fast , but not slow either. I could feel the tail beats as it went straight away. took about 50 yards of line and then I just locked down the spool with my thumbs and the line gave. Guys at the dock said it was probably a big bluecatfish one guy said maybe a big gator, who knows?

The second fish was in a 45 acre lake here on long island at night. Musky jitterbug, 20# test mono, 6'3' Heavy casting rod. The fish just sipped down the jitterbug, I felt her and set the hook. There was a huge swirl and she roared away like a freight train, peeling about 30 or 40 feet of mono off of the reel. The drag on the Pflueger 2800 was cranked as tight as it would go and I couldn't pull line off of it by hand! She ran straight away and then turned to the right and then she was gone. The lure was fine, no hooks straightened out, nothing, just gone. I caught a 26.5" fish from the same area the next year, but it didn't fight as hard as that first fish. I hammered that place for months and never had a fish like that again. That's what keeps me fishing, never knowing what will happen on the next cast.

The biggest bass I've ever landed were the 26.5" fish I just mentioned, according to the charts that was in the 11.5 pound range and I think she was in that range or just a bit less. Released right away at 2:30AM. She hit a 3/8 tandem spinnerbait with number 7 colorados, a real thumper!

I had a 10pound 2 ounce fish in a canal in Cape Coral FLA, back in the 70's on a 6" Black Grape Producto worm, trying to catch dinner!

Sorry, no pictures of either fish.
Frank : Bassin' USA Prostaff : New York
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

Official on certified scales:

Biggest Largemouth Bass was 7 lbs 11 oz
Biggest Smallmouth Bass 6.20 lbs

All the others don't count to anyone but me personally, so I'll spare the details.

I will say that my biggest smallie catches are getting closer to the size of my largie...

Need to get back to Lake Erie with a certified scale this time to log an official smallie over 7 lbs...

So that's it, no one else has ever caught a big bass? Really?
Brendan C.
antlers

Post by antlers »

never caught a real big smallie . a couple just over 5 but i did catch a 8.5 largie
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

Over 5 is a big smallie! Was that 8.5 the one from Lake Bomoseen?
Brendan C.
antlers

Post by antlers »

Yea 8.5from bomoseen. Smallies from candy also a 7.3 and a 6.6 large from candy
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

Very nice... You know I've never weighed in a Largie over 6lbs in a tournament on candlewood... I've weighed in a 6.20 smallie, but all the big largies have been in practice.... maybe I should stop practicing... lol
Brendan C.
SCBassboy1984

Post by SCBassboy1984 »

my biggest caught is 10.2 large mouth and 4 pound or so spotted bass and a 6.2 smallmouth on lake wallenwalpauk, in you guys neck of the wood,but have only weighed in a couple of 5s in tourneys. broke one off on lake hartwell about 8-9 pounds in a tourney,darn rookie netter.i learned that day,never fish with just anybody that says they are a real bass fisherman,i just figure 2 line where better than on, i was wrong,ow well