Alabama Rig Gets Banned!

Share tactics, tips, strategies and other fishing information...
kspringer

Alabama Rig Gets Banned!

Post by kspringer »

Well its official, today B.A.S.S. made a rule change that does not allow the use of Alabama Rigs and other techniques that use more than one lure such as double fluke rigs, drop shots that use jigs as weight and frontrunner/topwater combos. Right now it only applies to Elites and the Classic. I bet this is only the first of many more rules changes.....
brendanc

Alabama Rig Gets Banned!

Post by brendanc »

Well, I guess it's only a matter of time before bass clubs, the federation, and other follow their lead.

Anyone want to buy my A-Rigs? >/frown.gif" alt="frown" title="frown" height="15" width="15" />

So what does everyone think about the B.A.S.S. decision?

You can read the full article HERE
Brendan C.
allen howard

Alabama Rig Gets Banned!

Post by allen howard »

I kinda saw it coming because of all the talk over it but I didn't see the other bans. Double flukes and double top water rigs and dropshot jigs. But I know the DNR rule in Ohio says you can't use more than three hooks on one line. Another bussiness regulated out of bussiness. Like the natural bait B.A.S.S banned a few years ago. But left Gulp out of it for some reason.
brendanc

Alabama Rig Gets Banned!

Post by brendanc »

You know Alycat you make a great point, that's a sad reality of our world. Regulations and rules can make or break a company. Here you had a guy who invented something that was taking off and was on his way. Now all of his success could be in danger because of this change. Although at the moment, you still can use these rigs in many tournament trails and even at the club level. So until that changes, people will still be buying and using the A-Rig. Probably even more now that the Elite Series banned it. It could really boost his business and the businesses that copied his rig...
Brendan C.
kspringer

Alabama Rig Gets Banned!

Post by kspringer »

Brendan, the original designer of the A rig actually made some serious cash, they sold the business to Mann's, I believe thats who bought it, but it still hurts Mann's. I have noticed that several companies jumped on the wagon, I have seen several big name companies with A rigs.
kspringer

Alabama Rig Gets Banned!

Post by kspringer »

Mann’s Bait Company acquires license for Alabama Rig
Posted: Nov 16, 2011 8:39 AM CST
Updated: Nov 16, 2011 8:47 AM CST
Posted By Chris Coleman, Channel 3 Outdoors Contributor

Slick Lures, LLC, the owner and developer of The Alabama rig®, and Mann's Bait Company Inc. have concluded an agreement which designates Mann's as the sole and exclusive licensee for the manufacture, marketing and sale of The Alabama Rig® to the fishing tackle trade.

Andy Poss, the inventor of The Alabama Rig®, explained "It was vitally important to our company and to the long term success of The Alabama Rig® to affiliate with a high profile company having a widely recognized brand throughout the fishing tackle industry. In these uncertain times, we are particularly pleased to be able to partner with a company that is committed to making 100% of its products in the U.S.A."

Mann's Bait Company, a leading manufacturer of a broad range of artificial lures for both freshwater and saltwater fishing, has sold its high quality products to recreational fishermen around the world for over 50 years.
brendanc

Alabama Rig Gets Banned!

Post by brendanc »

Wouldn't expect anything less...

Hey speaking of rules, Frank mentioned that BASS put a "one boat per season" rule into effect (or are going to)... anyone heard about this one? He was saying how they are trying to discourage guys using jetboats to sneak into back pockets...
Brendan C.
wgbassgirl

Alabama Rig Gets Banned!

Post by wgbassgirl »

So does this mean everyone that got an A-rig from me for Christmas, owes me my money back... >/wink.gif" alt="wink" title="wink" height="15" width="15" />
kspringer

Alabama Rig Gets Banned!

Post by kspringer »

You are correct, one boat per year....here is the article

Still An Option For '12 Classic
New Elite Series Rule Eliminates Boat-Switching
Friday, January 13, 2012

Photo: BassFan
Bassmaster Elite Series anglers such as Steve Kennedy (who ran an aluminum rig in the 2009 Classic) will no longer have the option of using a different style of boat when they think it may give them an advantage.
(Editor's note: BassFan will observe Monday's Martin Luther King Jr. holiday, so a new top story will not appear until Tuesday.)

By Jonathan Manteuffel
Special to BassFan

BassFan has received confirmation that Bassmaster Elite Series anglers will be required to fish the entire 2012 season from the same boat they start with. In other words, competitors no longer have the option to use a fiberglass rig in one tournament and an aluminum boat in the next.

The rule goes into effect on March 1, shortly after the conclusion of the 2012 Bassmaster Classic.

The rule was requested by a number of Elite Series anglers and approved by B.A.S.S. within the last couple of weeks. It is an addition to Rule P4. UNIFORMS, WRAPPED BOATS, ETC. and reads as follows: "Pros are required to start the season with one wrapped boat for all 2012 Elite series competition. Any changes during the season must be to a comparable boat as approved by tournament officials."

B.A.S.S. tournament director Trip Weldon explained what "comparable boat" means.

"If they start the season in a 21-foot glass boat and say (for example they) change sponsors, then it must be to another boat comparable in the 21-foot range," he said. "Or they can compete in a jet boat or walleye-type boat all season. They just won't be allowed to switch back and forth within the season."

Weldon said the rule came about because "Elite anglers wanted to level the playing field." That sentiment was confirmed by several pros.

"As we like to say, 'Run what ya brung,''' said John Crews. "I think it is good for keeping the anglers on an even playing field. B.A.S.S. has a good history of setting the benchmark for rules and this will be an important year to continue that tradition."

ARTICLE SOURCE

brendanc

Alabama Rig Gets Banned!

Post by brendanc »

We had a lot of that happen when the Foxwood's Bass Challenge Tour was around. There were always some team that ran jetboats on the CT River and Hudson River. They usually won too!
Brendan C.