Alabama Rig Gets Banned!

Share tactics, tips, strategies and other fishing information...
allen howard

Alabama Rig Gets Banned!

Post by allen howard »

I've seen that here too. If your fishing the river and you want to get real shallow guys would take a jhonboat style boat to get way back in the creeks till the clubs started making certain areas off limits. Since i fish in buddy style tournaments and we are both registered as boaters. We can use either my boat a basstracker 170 pro v or his boat a ranger camanchee 170. for small lakes or electric only we use mine for large water or the river we use his. I really like his for big water when its rough out it has more room and a windsheild to hide behind in bad weather. But for small skinny water you can't beat the tracker.
brendanc

Alabama Rig Gets Banned!

Post by brendanc »

I have a 16' Alumicraft MV Tex-Mex that I use on Long Island mostly, but I baught it with the idea that if I ever needed to, I could throw a jetdrive motor on it. For now I just pulled the console and throttle linkage out. It's an easy convert.

Length 16' 10"
Beam 84"
Max HP Rating 55 HP
Brendan C.
ukey28

Alabama Rig Gets Banned!

Post by ukey28 »

Whats next registering your rods and reels at the beginning of the season. Seriously, its just another piece of equipment. I can use a flippin stick for one tourney and the next might be all spinning tackle, what makes the boat different?
Although I think the tours would be quite different if the anglers were limited to 18 foot aluminums with 75 HP Motors. Now that would level the playing field!
Frank : Bassin' USA Prostaff : New York
brendanc

Alabama Rig Gets Banned!

Post by brendanc »

I think guys are just complaining because not everyone has a friend near the river with a jet boat they can borrow. These guys are driving all over the country, it's not like they can just stop off at the house and switch boats (even if they own an aluminum too).

I'm sure they had enough people complaining to warrant the decision.
Brendan C.
kspringer

Alabama Rig Gets Banned!

Post by kspringer »

Well now there is a petition online that people can sign to ban the Alabama Rig. Go to BassFan and there is an article that has link to take you to site. I think there is over 600 signatures so far, some of the big names are signing anonymous. But there are some signatures you might recognize......
Phoenix

Alabama Rig Gets Banned!

Post by Phoenix »

Kinda makes ya wonder if the same people that use A rigs might take a Thompson to the deer woods. hahahahahaha
If I'm not fishing, you can bet I'm thinking about it!
brendanc

Alabama Rig Gets Banned!

Post by brendanc »

Could you imagine a Tommy Gun for deer hunting... I'd hate to been in the woods while someone is fire one of those!

Kind of reminds me of that scene in that Eddie Murphy film "The Distinguished Gentleman":

Brendan C.
Phoenix

Alabama Rig Gets Banned!

Post by Phoenix »

Takin a Thompson to the deer woods is just what I said about the Alabama rig.. lol call me old fashioned.. I can still do it with a single spinner bait... Or a buzz bait
If I'm not fishing, you can bet I'm thinking about it!
brendanc

Alabama Rig Gets Banned!

Post by brendanc »

Yup, I got your reference... just adding to it...
Brendan C.
flippinfool

Alabama Rig Gets Banned!

Post by flippinfool »

The A-rig is not the answer to all. What I have found is that those who are most critical of it, have never thrown it. It's heavy, expensive, and hangs up pretty easily. When they are on it, it's a great tool. When they're not, you waste a lot of time and energy. I don't think it should be banned. I'd much rather see an angler using an A-rig legally in a tournament, than using live bait or snagging fish off beds illegally. This is said with respect to all others' opinions and beliefs.