Old lures don't stop working.

Share your comments, thoughts, criticisms and compliments about the many forms of tackle and equipment on the market today...
ukey28

Post by ukey28 »

I was reading an article in a fishing magazine where they were talking about old lures that have fallen out of favor in bass fishing. They seem to become "kinda not cool to use." In the article they wrote about in line spinners like the rooster tail and the Mepps and one of my favorites the Panther Martin. It got me thinking about old lures that aren't cool anymore, but we all started out with them. Maybe it's the tournament thing, who knows. I never go fishing without a stock of Johnson silver minnow weedless spoons in my boat or a couple of Johnson Sprites, yup that simple silver spoon. Now I know some guys carry them on winter trips for jigging, but they still catch fish on a regular retrieve. In fact they catch a lot of fish. Another is the 4 inch Rapala and Rebel minnows. And of course the Jitterbug which I think just had its 80th Birthday. What do you carry thats uncool but works for you?
Frank : Bassin' USA Prostaff : New York
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

All I know is that with the current condition of the "Social Security System" in this country you should change this topic from "Old lures don't stop working" to:

"Old People Don't Stop Working!"
Brendan C.
ukey28

Post by ukey28 »

Hey, I resemble that comment!
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

lol
Brendan C.
tkbigbass

Post by tkbigbass »

Originally Posted By: ukey28I was reading an article in a fishing magazine where they were talking about old lures that have fallen out of favor in bass fishing. They seem to become "kinda not cool to use." In the article they wrote about in line spinners like the rooster tail and the Mepps and one of my favorites the Panther Martin. It got me thinking about old lures that aren't cool anymore, but we all started out with them. Maybe it's the tournament thing, who knows. I never go fishing without a stock of Johnson silver minnow weedless spoons in my boat or a couple of Johnson Sprites, yup that simple silver spoon. Now I know some guys carry them on winter trips for jigging, but they still catch fish on a regular retrieve. In fact they catch a lot of fish. Another is the 4 inch Rapala and Rebel minnows. And of course the Jitterbug which I think just had its 80th Birthday. What do you carry thats uncool but works for you?
I still carry and use the old Lucky 13, Mudbug and Pico Side Shad. All still catch fish but, I'm really careful to not lose one of these oldies as they are not easy to come by. And yes I too keep a few of the Johnson spoons in the boat to use mostly in the spring time when the lake gets up in the weeds.
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

Hi tk,

I'm a big fan of the mudbug... in fact for a while they were really had to come by, so I purchased several dozen in the 1 oz. size. Did the same with Strike King Bo Hawg Pork...

I started out bass fishing almost exclusively with 4" floating Rapalas... one of the deadly lures every created for bass!

I'm surprised Frank hasn't jumped back in to this topcic yet...
Brendan C.
ukey28

Post by ukey28 »

You may laugh at this but, in 40 years of Bassin I've never fished with a Lucky 13! I always liked the action and I love throwin plugs too! I have a question for everybody, back in the early 90's storm came out with a lure called the lightnin shad. It was a deep diving bait, great colors, strong hooks, it looked perfect. I never caught a fish on it.....ever.

Know anybody that did?
basser913

Post by basser913 »

Love the Johnson Silver Minnow. I always have one in the bottom of my tackle Bag. I alo liked the Lightning shad. Never caught anything on it.
Crestliner

Post by Crestliner »

Heddon's River Runt! And I still my first Lucky 13 (wood) bought with my newspaper money back in the 50's. >/smile.gif" alt="smile" title="smile" height="15" width="15" />
ukey28

Post by ukey28 »

Whats the closest modern day lure to the river runt action, Crestliner??