Deep clear water

Our community is all about helping out our fellow anglers. Post general bass fishing topics here
allen howard

Deep clear water

Post by allen howard »

I have a tournament at the end of March on Laurel river lake Kentucky. From the information I can find it is a deep clear water power plant lake with lots of cliffs and ledges. My plan is to fish the ledges with a jerk bait,drop shot, lipless,shakey head. Maybe a sonar blade bait and a 1/2oz spinner bait or a 1/2oz jig. From what I can tell the water temp is highest 50 degrees around 20 to 25 feet. I feel I would be better off trying to target smallies rather than large mouth. Since smallies are more active at a lower temp than large mouth. Any suggestions?
ukey28

Deep clear water

Post by ukey28 »

I waiting for Springer to wade in here soon aboout stroking a jig on the ledges! WHy not vertical jig them with a 1/4 ounce ball head with a soft plastic trailer.
Frank : Bassin' USA Prostaff : New York
brendanc

Deep clear water

Post by brendanc »

Alycat,

The technique we used in this video is winning tournaments all over the place. You might want to give it a serious look:

If you want to talk specifics, send me a PM. I'm happy to share...
Brendan C.
allen howard

Deep clear water

Post by allen howard »

I have gone over the lake map and found a few places with grass back in the creeks. As for forage I'm not sure but assume it's shad and crawfish. I do know the lake is stocked regularly with rainbow trout. so that may be a good forage base too. I've also planned to use 3'' grubs in rocky areas. Along with the other listed baits. Of course Floro is my main line most of the time since most of the lakes I fish are clear water but most aren't as deep as this lake. It's one of the deepest in Kentucky. I've also thought of useing a jigging spoon and a little george tail spinner if the fish are holding deep. I'm just trying to prepare for any situation that might produce a pattern. I'll know more once I'm on the water. Thanks for the tips.
allen howard

Deep clear water

Post by allen howard »

I'll be sure to use it. I've always used a jig but never as deep as this lake is. Thanks for the advise I'll let you know how it turns out on our pre fish trip. and how the tourney goes too. Good luck guys and thanks again..
kspringer

Deep clear water

Post by kspringer »

Frank, Frank, Frank.....I do occasionally do other things than stroke a jig!!!! Thats my summertime "go to!!!!" The time of year and lake hes talkin about, that is not really what i would be doin. In March on that lake, you better have a good supply of Silver Buddies and do some research on using the "Float and Fly" I promise you thats the two baits that will will that tournament.
kspringer

Deep clear water

Post by kspringer »

Go to you tube, there are some really good videos on catching fish in that area of Kentucky using the Float and Fly

allen howard

Deep clear water

Post by allen howard »

Yes I know about the float n fly my partner lives on Dale Hollow and uses it alot. AS for the swim bait i've been useing the money minnow and the lake fork magic minnow. I also like to use a gulp 4'' minnow on a shakey head which I've had alot of luck on in the past. I'm probly just over thinking things I'm getting excited to finally start the season. Plus I've got some new baits from Big Bite I want to try out too. I'm just not happy with being in the top ten I want to be in the top five this year. Which means I need to spend alot more time on the water. And I have no excuse since I only live half a mile from the Ohio river.
Thanks guys I'll let you know how it turns out...
ukey28

Deep clear water

Post by ukey28 »

LOL Hey Kev! You know this year things are upside down. We've got salt water fish being caught at the inlets up here that normally don't show until April. My kids saw a frog yesterday and another friend says he saw an Osprey. It just hasn't been that cold. So who knows what the norm could be. I agree with you with the blades, not much of a float and fly guy. I do believe when done right it should be effective. I used to do a lot of jigging through the ice and it never ceased to amaze me the size bass we would catch on a 1/100 of an ounce jig! The vertical do nuthin presentation in cold water is so effective.
I'm curious to see what the weed growth will look like this spring. we had no ice this winter so the weeds had light all winter. Should be interesting.
Frank : Bassin' USA Prostaff : New York
Crestliner

Deep clear water

Post by Crestliner »

Awesome video Brendan! I'll be sure to give that presentation a whirl! What I've had success on in late winter, early spring smallmouth fishing is with the Ledgebuster spinnerbaits. Utilizing a slow roll or on/off bottom retrieve, I've clocked a few good ones this way. Just a thought.