Where Is The Red Flag in Your Mind?

Our community is all about helping out our fellow anglers. Post general bass fishing topics here
George Cawthorn

Post by George Cawthorn »

Wind speed can be a problem for fishing.

If you are looking at a forecast where is the red flag in your mind?

If it is going to be pretty windy but you decide to go out anyway do you make any adjustments to your boat or gear?
ukey28

Post by ukey28 »

My flag goes up when it gets uncomfortable to fish. I'm no longer a tourney guy, so I fish to enjoy and have fun. If its a ton of work to fish, thats not fun to me. Now if its windy and I'm on them I usually don't notice it!
Frank : Bassin' USA Prostaff : New York
Crestliner

Post by Crestliner »

For me, if the wind is predicted to be 15 - 20 mph, I don't go. And at my age, I don't go if there's a good chance of rain. Being retired, I can pick & choose! >/smile.gif" alt="smile" title="smile" height="15" width="15" />
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

When is it time to say "when"? If you are having second thoughts, or second guessing your safety "That's a great time to say when"!

When it comes to tournament fishing, the weather is what it is. Unless the tournament director cancels the tournament, I'm usually going out. That said, there have been some days that I've seen tournament directors make some bad calls. Heavy fog, 45+ MPH winds on big tidal rivers (wind against tide), nasty thunderstorms, etc. At that point you have to make a personal decision "what is the right thing to do". I do not encourage anglers (especially new anglers) to go out in bad conditions. I personally have a lot of experience driving a bass boat in big water under ruff conditions and it is still DANGEROUS. If you're a newbie, it's better to wait out the weather or simply call it a day.

When it comes to fun fishing, I'll push the limits a bit:

cold & windy = OK
windy = OK
cold = OK
cold, windy & snow = OK
cold, windy & rain = I'll watch fishing on TV

Some of the best days I've ever had on the water are on very windy days. Nunz made some good points about adjusting your tackle. I'll add one thing for boaters... get yourself a "Troll Perfect"... I can't say enough about that simple product... it makes it much easier to fish in ruff condition on your trolling motor. (and I'm not sponsored by them, I just believe in their product)

Brendan C.
Rich Tomasini

Post by Rich Tomasini »

What Crestliner said unless its a tourny.
wgbassgirl

Post by wgbassgirl »

I think for me its when its lightening out & u r right near a metal gate & the lightening is hitting the water...:) that was more than a red flag...high winds is another...overall I will go out up until I know longer feel comfortable because then I'm just not concentrating or having fun